Inkbird WiFi heater controller way off

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I have two Inkbird temperature controllers (308-WiFi). One seems spot on while the other one has drifted way, way off.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Restart unit
2. Unpair / Pair again
3. Clean probe

Any advice? As for temperature calibration, I can only calibrate up/down 15 degrees.

Thanks,

PXL_20231023_094902262.jpg

Spudsmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach out directly to Inkbird, ( or BRS if you purchased it from them ) seem’s like you definitely have a faulty temp probe, that should be covered under the warranty.

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I have two Inkbird temperature controllers (308-WiFi). One seems spot on while the other one has drifted way, way off.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Restart unit
2. Unpair / Pair again
3. Clean probe

Any advice? As for temperature calibration, I can only calibrate up/down 15 degrees.

Thanks,

PXL_20231023_094902262.jpg
Honestly I dont think it’s calibration issue. It’s either main unit or probe malfunction. Temperature reading is way beyond its limit. Just plug it off and replace it. You don’t want this to stuck on.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I dont think it’s calibration issue. It’s either main unit or probe malfunction. Temperature reading is way beyond its limit. Just plug it off and replace it. You don’t want this to stuck on.
Yeah went directly to Inkbird, they're sending me a replacement unit. Glad it was the backup- just shows any redundancy is a really good idea!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity -- what's the one on the left actually reading? 14.8 degrees?
I was half wondering if the LED was out on the top line of the first digit and it was really thinking 74.8 ... but you got it remedied so doesn't matter.

I've only had 3 different InkBirds but they've all been within 1 degree of what I think true temperature is/was (before calibration).

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity -- what's the one on the left actually reading? 14.8 degrees?
I was half wondering if the LED was out on the top line of the first digit and it was really thinking 74.8 ... but you got it remedied so doesn't matter.

I've only had 3 different InkBirds but they've all been within 1 degree of what I think true temperature is/was (before calibration).
It's reading 148 Fahrenheit :) unlikely temperature :cool:

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah went directly to Inkbird, they're sending me a replacement unit. Glad it was the backup- just shows any redundancy is a really good idea!
Yes, I have inkbird aslo as main controller for two years now backed up with GHL controller and a glass thermometer in sump. You don’t know when and who will get crazy and decide to cook your tank. Redundancy is a must when controlling heaters

How old are the controllers?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have inkbird aslo as main controller for two years now backed up with GHL controller and a glass thermometer in sump. You don’t know when and who will get crazy and decide to cook your tank. Redundancy is a must when controlling heaters

How old are the controllers?
I am running a very similar setup to you but with a Neptune apex instead.

Controllers are about six months old, they replaced a set of D&D controllers when I redid my big tank.

Bit too early for them to start to go!

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP

How are you running a back up?

I use this controller with 2 heaters. Are you running 4 heaters?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Advise---

Get some Ranco or Innovative marine heater controllers.

Inkbirds are junk. It amazes me people go the cheap route on what is the most important control on any reef tank.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advise---

Get some Ranco or Innovative marine heater controllers.

Inkbirds are junk. It amazes me people go the cheap route on what is the most important control on any reef tank.
Advise taken. I have 9 Inkbird controllers split between a number different tanks. All have been solid so far minus this one. Reckon that is why we have redundancy, right? :)

Whether they are junk or not- i'll leave up to you to determine. Thank you for your input- didn't really help me solve anything did it? ;)

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP

How are you running a back up?

I use this controller with 2 heaters. Are you running 4 heaters?
So, I use the heater controllers as "main" with Neptune Apex as backup.

Main heater set to 78 degrees
Backup heater set to 77 degrees

Apex switch off heaters if 80 degrees.

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF
If Output RETURN_PUMP = OFF Then OFF

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to bin the unit - they are not trustworthy ever again. They are made to be disposable.

You might appreciate the advice if a tank crashes by trusting an inkbird like others have. I think that it is pretty good information to know that there are two types of inkbirds - those that have wandered and drifted and those that are going to really soon. Inkbird is one of the lowest quality pieces of equipment even for hobby-grade stuff.

Apex temp probes are not all that much better. At least with an inkbird and an apex, there are two levels of low-reliability happening before a heater malfunctions.

When you eventually get sick of dealing with them, the Rancos or other industrial grade units will be out there. Perhaps start to buy some if/when you see them really cheap in the mean time? Ranco is not even expensive.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to bin the unit - they are not trustworthy ever again. They are made to be disposable.

You might appreciate the advice if a tank crashes by trusting an inkbird like others have. I think that it is pretty good information to know that there are two types of inkbirds - those that have wandered and drifted and those that are going to really soon. Inkbird is one of the lowest quality pieces of equipment even for hobby-grade stuff.

Apex temp probes are not all that much better. At least with an inkbird and an apex, there are two levels of low-reliability happening before a heater malfunctions.

When you eventually get sick of dealing with them, the Rancos or other industrial grade units will be out there. Perhaps start to buy some if/when you see them really cheap in the mean time? Ranco is not even expensive.
Cheers! :)

@jda and @Big E I do appreciate your advice on different kit- I will definitely be looking at it once replacements are due. This particular unit is being replaced under warranty.

As for selection, please keep in mind that Reefers based outside of the US don't have the same selection as you guys :) We are buying the stuff available to us.

As for the Ranco and IM ones, sadly they're not easily available over here.

Any other suggestions? :)

Cheers guys!

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers! :)

@jda and @Big E I do appreciate your advice on different kit- I will definitely be looking at it once replacements are due. This particular unit is being replaced under warranty.

As for selection, please keep in mind that Reefers based outside of the US don't have the same selection as you guys :) We are buying the stuff available to us.

As for the Ranco and IM ones, sadly they're not easily available over here.

Any other suggestions? :)

Cheers guys

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back