Innovative Marine 14g...which Kessil?

frootbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I’m starting an Innovative Marine 14 peninsula and I heard that Kessil were the best at showing off zoas and shrooms, so that’s the light I’d like to get. When I’m ready to add corals, I plan on having zoas, discosoma shrooms, ricordea, and maybe a neon toadstool or other pretty softie. The aquarium is 20x12x13, with the first 3.25 of the 20 length being the aio/pump area:

The small rock on the left will be a lil ricordea island, the rubble and lower parts of the rock to the right will be discosoma, and mid-high will be zoas. I’ll put the toadstool on the sand bed wherever I can find room. It will probably be the most light demanding coral I have.

I’m trying to choose between the a80 and a160, have done a lot of searching and seeing a lot of conflicting info. My concern with the a80 is coverage and whether the mini gooseneck is long enough to get to the center of the display without being practically on the water. The alternative is an a160 with a mounting arm. My only concern with it is whether it would be overkill and give me tons of light spill out of the tank. Kind of wishing I had just gotten the 10g/a80, but I wanted the extra room for coral.

I’d love to get some opinions from the Kessil gurus here. Thanks!

D41DBF7E-9494-4523-B311-6B2656E31AB3.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 20 in your really best off with two lights.

The 160 is more powerful yes but coverage will suffer.

The a80 will grow stuff ok but will cover poorly with really low par on the sides. It’ll limit you later.
Two 80 will keep you pretty happy for a while.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely 160 or even 360. The A80 isn’t that strong at all, definitely not enough for any substantial growth.

OP
OP
F

frootbat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I found the 18-24 Orbit Marine Pro on clearance for $98, so I will give it a try. Not quite the look I wanted, but oh well, next time I’ll get a 10g cube to make things easier.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might consider AI prime with potentially adding another. I have had a few a160 and they are nice for the right setup, but for the price the controllability of prime is really great. I have used many kessils with just timers, but having the color change to more blue at night and moonlights is something I value and it’s all built in the prime for a bit less price. The AI has near UV and good selection of blues so the coral will still pop nicely.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I found the 18-24 Orbit Marine Pro on clearance for $98, so I will give it a try. Not quite the look I wanted, but oh well, next time I’ll get a 10g cube to make things easier.
Sorry I missed this. Enjoy the new light!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back