Innovative Marine Helio PTC Smart Titanium Heating System

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Innovative Marine Helio PTC Smart Titanium Heating System, I have a 92 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump (probably 10 gallons of water in the sump) not sure what size to buy. I see there are systems with 2 heaters, do they run simultaneously or is the second one just a back up and does nothing?

Any suggestions on what to get and what size?

300w.PNG

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dual element setups run both heaters at the same time. In the past, a lot of people would figure how much wattage they needed (3-5w per gallon is the general guideline), and then split that between two heaters. If you need 300w, get two 150w heaters. Need 600w? Get a pair of 300w heaters.

The line of thinking behind that was that if one heater failed, the other would continue working. Or, if one heater stuck on, it would take longer (because of the "half wattage") to heat your tank to dangerous levels, giving you more time to notice and correct the issue.

Running two smaller heaters might be a benefit for cramped spaces as well. Smaller wattage heaters are typically physically smaller as well. It might be easier to fit the smaller wattage, shorter heaters in a sump compartment or the back of an AiO tank than a single longer heater.

With the way Helio works and its built-in failsafes, I'm not sure the dual element thing is as important as it used to be, but there is the option. I have a couple tanks running them now, and I like them a lot. One tank needed 100w, so I run a single 100w element (switched from an Inkbird controller with dual 50w traditional heaters). Another tank needed 300w, so I run a dual element setup (100w + 200w) on that tank.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dual element setups run both heaters at the same time. In the past, a lot of people would figure how much wattage they needed (3-5w per gallon is the general guideline), and then split that between two heaters. If you need 300w, get two 150w heaters. Need 600w? Get a pair of 300w heaters.

The line of thinking behind that was that if one heater failed, the other would continue working. Or, if one heater stuck on, it would take longer (because of the "half wattage") to heat your tank to dangerous levels, giving you more time to notice and correct the issue.

Running two smaller heaters might be a benefit for cramped spaces as well. Smaller wattage heaters are typically physically smaller as well. It might be easier to fit the smaller wattage, shorter heaters in a sump compartment or the back of an AiO tank than a single longer heater.

With the way Helio works and its built-in failsafes, I'm not sure the dual element thing is as important as it used to be, but there is the option. I have a couple tanks running them now, and I like them a lot. One tank needed 100w, so I run a single 100w element (switched from an Inkbird controller with dual 50w traditional heaters). Another tank needed 300w, so I run a dual element setup (100w + 200w) on that tank.
Does the display show the actual temperature or is it just the set temperature?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Innovative Marine Helio PTC Smart Titanium Heating System, I have a 92 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump (probably 10 gallons of water in the sump) not sure what size to buy. I see there are systems with 2 heaters, do they run simultaneously or is the second one just a back up and does nothing?

Any suggestions on what to get and what size?

300w.PNG
I have the Helio,on my tank. If I remember right I have 2 300w on mine. It's a 90 gallon with an oversized sump I guess it has maybe 35 or 40 gallons in it. I always oversize lol. I love this heater setup, I have ran it for at least 3 years. When the house is warm it seems to only run 1.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back