Innovative marine Nuvo 20? Lighting Opinions?

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an innovative marine 20 gallon all in one reef. Since its tax return season I decided to get a new light fixture for it. The one I have now is not very nice and seems kind of unpleasant to the eye. It's an off brand light I got from my lfs that they used to grow corals for a while. I also have a kessil a160 but I'm not really pleased with it either. Was looking to get something higher end that can work for any coral and I can control the spectral output of. I don't mind t5 or led. I'm just trying to get input from more experienced reefers like you guys and girls [emoji4]. I'm not looking to spend any more than around 600 for one though. Thanks Guys!
20180208_191936.jpg
20180210_193032.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think personally I would go with a Hydra 26HD over that. Great light and can be completely customized and all from your phone. If you want to spend the extra money, might as well buy 2 single T5HO fixtures and build a nice looking T5/LED enclosure to hang over the tank. [emoji4]

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think personally I would go with a Hydra 26HD over that. Great light and can be completely customized and all from your phone. If you want to spend the extra money, might as well buy 2 single T5HO fixtures and build a nice looking T5/LED enclosure to hang over the tank. [emoji4]
Is that what you use, do you have a picture of your tank with it on? I wanted to get one a while back, I was sincerely considering that light over any others but I wanted to see if there are any other lights that are nice. Thanks for your input too!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Maxspect Ethereal on mine. Pretty good once you get it dialed in but the initial setup process can be iffy due to the app, ICV6 controller, and the light itself not communicating perfectly.

IMG_20180217_104907_820.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that what you use, do you have a picture of your tank with it on? I wanted to get one a while back, I was sincerely considering that light over any others but I wanted to see if there are any other lights that are nice. Thanks for your input too!

I don’t personally use them but my old LFS ran them over their displays and I loved the color and growth I could see from them. I’ve played around with the spectrum but don’t actually own them.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Maxspect Ethereal on mine. Pretty good once you get it dialed in but the initial setup process can be iffy due to the app, ICV6 controller, and the light itself not communicating perfectly.

IMG_20180217_104907_820.jpg
Also do those spin streams make a lot of noise? Was thinking about getting them as well.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do those spin streams make a lot of noise? Was thinking about getting them as well.
The spinstreams don't make any noise, they only make noise if the gear housing portion is above the water line. I absolutely love them and if they break I will buy more haha

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t personally use them but my old LFS ran them over their displays and I loved the color and growth I could see from them. I’ve played around with the spectrum but don’t actually own them.
I don't really.like the app and the Wi-Fi thing but if I remember correctly there's a controller for them? I may get that with it if I get one

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two A160's over mine. I like them but will probably add two t5 bulbs to it somehow in the near future.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two A160's over mine. I like them but will probably add two t5 bulbs to it somehow in the near future.
Honestly I was going to do that but I would rather just buy one that is already made so I don't have to do some engineering haha. But I really enjoy t5 bulbs the most because they just seem to light everything up way better and I like the colors you get out of them

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say two AI Prime HDs. I love this light, and you can grow any coral. They’re more affordable than other lights and look very nice.

d2895b0874ae90add04937c6e331658c.jpg

6dc588452dc2a397ff82b861543d8e31.jpg
Wouldn't just one do fine for 24 inch coverage? And do they have a controller that you can buy because I'm not really into the whole Wi-Fi thing with them.

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might pick those up as well, also another Powerhead. Think I need more flow in there
My flow setup is a Jebao DCS2000 return pump with the stock dual outflow/Y stem with two spin streams and a Jebao PP-4 powerhead. Works pretty well with what I'm doing, I run both pumps at 20% or below.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow setup is a Jebao DCS2000 return pump with the stock dual outflow/Y stem with two spin streams and a Jebao PP-4 powerhead. Works pretty well with what I'm doing, I run both pumps at 20% or below.
I think I may actually skip the spin streams and get an mp10, they seem to create a nice variable flow and are more than enough for my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back