Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Recently I've noticed that my current tank has started to get air in the silicone seals and I figured that maybe a tank upgrade would be appropriate. I want to do things right this time. I am going to be upgrading from an IM Nuvo 20 to a Lagoon 25. Since I did not have enough pictures to create a build thread for my 20 that I've had running before I joined R2R, I figured why not start now! I'm using this opportunity to take care of the things I wish I had done when starting my old tank. I really want to foolproof this thing so that I can avoid headaches down the road. Some things I am doing this time that make this build more serious than last include:

1.) I am getting the stand that fits the tank, no dressers/IKEA furniture this time
2.) I'm planning on higher quality equipment to ensure ease of care and expanding my opportunities for a healthier tank
3.) I am probably starting my tank from scratch in terms of live rock and sand to ensure I can create the scape I want based on rocks I've picked
4.) I am shifting towards getting an ATO system this time, no more manual top offs!
5.) I'm testing more vigorously!

Now, as it stands, I have my "wish list" picked out in a cart waiting to be purchased and shipped to my door. I am waiting on more funds (aren't we all) and waiting on finishing my aggressive research on all the products I am planning on ordering. Below is a picture of the cart I have made.

Annotation 2020-01-08 113748.jpg

I currently use an AI Hydra 26HD on my 20 and I plan on just using that for my 25, but I wanted a more dedicated mount for it without drilling into my ceiling for the 100th time. Another thing you'll notice is the fiji pink sand. I currently have black substrate that was bought as live sand, but I learned over the years the hard way that it was known for leaching silicates into the water and causing algae problems. Also, I found that white sand always looked better to me anyways. The thing I am most excited about is the Vortech MP10. I was eyeing these up for a while now and I am pretty set on using one in my new tank solely on their water volume they push and the features they exhibit. Below are some pictures I have taken over the many years I have owned my 20 gallon tank.

gfhfghgfhfghfghf.jpg

ghjfghjfhgjfghj.jpg

20190512_213924.jpg

These kind of show the timeline of the progression of the tank and the last one is somewhat the state it is in at the moment. The stocking is different than the two clowns seen in the photo. I currently have a flame hawkfish, a six line wrasse, a baby platinum clown, a firefish and a cleaner shrimp. I'm really excited to see what this new build will have in store for me as its going to be different dimensions and a slightly larger water volume/area in the tank. Let me know what your thoughts are! I look forward to giving an update on the new build once it ships and gets set up! Thanks all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! So a quick update where a lot happened very fast this week! Right before I was about to order the equipment and tank last week, I went on Facebook market and just so happened to see the EXACT tank, stand and heater I was going to buy for 350 bucks. Along with this the stand was modified with shelves and LED lights and the tank came with a whole slew of Innovative Marine tank accessories. Also included was numerous test kits, B-Ionic 2 part, and multiple BRS dosing elements and mixing jugs for dosing pumps and such. What a deal! I ended up getting everything for half the price of the new tank and stand and I am very lucky to have found such a steal. The tank had only been running for about a year or less and the guy was quitting the hobby, I guess it's the circle of life where I am able to continue his tank on. In the meantime of messaging the guy selling it, I went ahead and ordered some reef saver rock from BRS and broke it into smaller pieces (a lot) and ended up making up my aquascape in the same night. So, after using epoxy and glue to set the aquascape I got my shipment of the other stuff I needed in yesterday (refractometer, drip acclimator, RO/DI unit).

This morning I went out to pick up the tank and stand and all accessories and the guy was definitely experienced and knew what he was doing, at least to me it seemed. I got the stuff home and fanangled with some adapters for the water unit to get it to fit on my faucet. I started the water unit and I have been adding saltwater all afternoon as my buckets fill. Below are the pictures from today as the tank is slowly getting filled.

20200116_183548.jpg

20200116_183611.jpg

20200116_183616.jpg

20200116_183833.jpg

20200116_183827.jpg

20200116_212539.jpg

20200116_212534.jpg

So this is where I'll be for the rest of the night, I want to get this filled and get the pumps running and start the cycle. Tomorrow I am getting my other shipment in that contains a new wavemaker (mp10wqd) and my tunze osmolator 3155 ATO system. I am very excited and I'll update the thread tomorrow night to show the progress! Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back