Innovative Marine Nuvo-INT 50 Build

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, it's been a while since I've been serious about this hobby, but I'm going all in again! Since I've not seen much info on other guys using the Nuvo-INT 50 in their build, I figured I'll share what I'm currently building.

Equipment used;
Tank = Innovative Marine NUVO-INT 50 with Internal Overflow Aquarium
Stand = Innovative Marine APS Cabinet Stand
Sump = Trigger Systems Emerald CUBE Sump - 20x20 inch
Skimmer = Bubble Magus Curve 5
Return Pump = For now, a Jabeo DCP-2500 (Will probably upgrade this to a Current USA eFlux6009, unless anyone recommends differently)
Light = I'll be using a single Radion XR15

Everything came in about a week ago, plumbed over this past weekend, and water in as of yesterday. Couple little challenges I experienced in this build so far.

1.) The 20" Trigger sump only had one return line originally, so I had to drill out a 2nd hole to support the Bean Animal Drain.
2.) The sump fits perfectly in the IM stand, but I did have to remove the bottom magnets for the two doors. This is not a problem since there are also two magnets on the top to support the doors closing and locking in place.

I'll do my best to provide updates on a monthly basis.

Here's some pics of my progress so far.

20191204-185326.jpg

20191204-195112.jpg

20191204-195149.jpg

20191218-085832.jpg

20191218-085827.jpg

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... and looking forward to your progress.

I was looking at pretty much the exact same setup. Was thinking there would be a little room to spare with the 20" Trigger sump... I guess not so much!

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... and looking forward to your progress.

I was looking at pretty much the exact same setup. Was thinking there would be a little room to spare with the 20" Trigger sump... I guess not so much!
I'm very happy with this setup so far. The 20" Trigger fit perfectly and I have zero complaints. Posting a few progress photos in a few.

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and running since December. Cycled very quickly with the help of BioDigest Live Bacteria and a a little live rock from my nano tank. Moved over the few frags I had left from the Nano about a month ago. Gotta say, I sure missed having a good skimmer.

20200214-141040.jpg

20200214-141832.jpg

20200214-141029.jpg

Crazypirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! I am thinking about the same build in a couple of months! The only concern I have is the IM int 50's stand inner dimension is 19.3 x 19.3 which is just a hair short of the trigger 20 x 20 sump, but it looks just fine! Do you have to slide the sump in from top before you put tank on?

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! I am thinking about the same build in a couple of months! The only concern I have is the IM int 50's stand inner dimension is 19.3 x 19.3 which is just a hair short of the trigger 20 x 20 sump, but it looks just fine! Do you have to slide the sump in from top before you put tank on?

Hello, yes I installed the sump before putting the top on. I also had to remove the lower magnets of the doors to allow them to close correctly (upper magnets work fine by themselves).

DARTHROB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post was an inspiration and a huge help for my very first build. Check out my post for the pics. Thank you!

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post was an inspiration and a huge help for my very first build. Check out my post for the pics. Thank you!

You're absolutely welcome, happy to help! Looks like I need to post some updates on how my tank been doing. I'll put that on my task list.

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates to the tank? It appears that Trigger Systems discontinued the 20g Emerald Cube Sump (EMERALD20C) at least that's what the BRS website has said versus Trigger's website still listing the emerald series on this page: https://www.triggersys.com/ts/emerald_sumps/
Tank is still up and was doing great, up until I got a little lazy with maintenance these past couple months. Now battling some hair algae, should have it back to presentable soon. I'll post some pics when I feel it's good to share again.

As far as Trigger discontinuing the 20G Emerald series, that sucks, it's a great sump for this setup. Here's a couple alternatives from Trigger that should work also as a FYI.

fugitiveALiEN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely understand, our family room 75g has some hair algae as well. Hoping to pickup an algae scrubber to address the issue soon. I saw DarthRob's INT 50 thread and he got the newer sapphire sump from Trigger, so one of those should do the trick in that stand just fine.

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this tank and finished the plumbing. I have a question in regards to the overflow pipes and keeping it silent. My full siphon drain is fine, but when the slightest bit of water goes down the secondary drain its loud. How do you make that drain silent also?

lostinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this tank and finished the plumbing. I have a question in regards to the overflow pipes and keeping it silent. My full siphon drain is fine, but when the slightest bit of water goes down the secondary drain its loud. How do you make that drain silent also?
The secondary drain is loud by design to let you know the primary is blocked. Open the primary up a bit until the water level is below your emergency drain

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
The secondary drain is loud by design to let you know the primary is blocked. Open the primary up a bit until the water level is below your emergency drain

The secondary drain should very minimal water going through it to keep it quite.

To confirm, do you have a Gate Valve on your main drain to be able to control the flow accurately?

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

The secondary drain should very minimal water going through it to keep it quite.

To confirm, do you have a Gate Valve on your main drain to be able to control the flow accurately?
Yes I do. The water level in the overflow is never perfectly consistent. The slightest trickle of water goes down the second pipe and it is very loud.i ever so slightly open the gate valve more and after a half hour or so the overflow level is too low and its trickling down the overflow. So I slightly close the valve to allow it to rise up over time and it get to the point where its going down the second pipe. Its been a back and forth go at this for 2 days

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. The water level in the overflow is never perfectly consistent. The slightest trickle of water goes down the second pipe and it is very loud.i ever so slightly open the gate valve more and after a half hour or so the overflow level is too low and its trickling down the overflow. So I slightly close the valve to allow it to rise up over time and it get to the point where its going down the second pipe. Its been a back and forth go at this for 2 days
That's odd, mine hasn't need any adjustment as soon as it was dialed in. When tinkering with your gate valve, are you doing very *minor* adjustments?

If not that, I wonder if your return pump might not be consistent.

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd, mine hasn't need any adjustment as soon as it was dialed in. When tinkering with your gate valve, are you doing very *minor* adjustments?

If not that, I wonder if your return pump might not be consistent.
Yes it feels like I'm not even moving it. My pump in undersized and I have a new one coming tomorrow that will help deal with the head pressure better(apparently). That may be my problem

OP
OP
mark7x77

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it feels like I'm not even moving it. My pump in undersized and I have a new one coming tomorrow that will help deal with the head pressure better(apparently). That may be my problem
Got it, hopefully your new pump fixes the issue, good luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back