Input needed for custom made overflow going on 32 biocube

ReGinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have been contemplating a project for a bit, and would love some feedback from the more experienced reefers on here as what exactly I should do. I have a 32 gallon bio cube, all stock at this point, but been up for almost 3 years. Had a recent fish die off, with only 2 saved and moved over to QT. So while I have my main tank fallow for the next few weeks, I was considering adding some upgrades to it, mostly DIY for cost purposes, lol. But anyways, the idea I have is to do some kind of overflow from the back left reservoir, through the hole already in the hood on the back side next to the hinge area, down in to a custom made overflow box (possibly of herbie design), and then down in to a small custom made sump where I want to first run the water through an ATS, and have some ceramic bioballs down there to help with bacterial populations, then pump back up through another hose and connect that hose to the main outlet back in to the tank. My problem here is I can't figure out exactly how I want to accomplish this. I done hours of research, and seen many designs from other folks tanks, but I know every tank is different, and I will need to customize it to my liking.

Option 1) I can't decide if I want to use 2 pumps to completely control my flow down to the sump, and then back up (thinking of using the IM Mightyjet Midsize AIO DC Return Pump, 538gph, which is controllable). Which in this design I wouldn't need an overflow box as I could control flow straight to the sump and back up through the use of hoses and pipes, and could set both pumps to the same setting to ensure I have the same flow out and back.

Option 2) The other thought is to use the over flow box with a u tube as the siphon water puller from the main tank reservoir to the over flow box, and then, using the herbie design, have it flow down in to the sump through the ATS and sump, then pumped back up by one of the Mightyjets. My only problem with this option is I don't know a lot about the siphon design for overflow boxes, and I wasn't sure if I could accurately control my flow down in to the sump with just siphon/overflow box. It seems to make sense in my mind that once max flow is reached in those, that it will never be able to be adjusted, especially if the Mightyjet proves to strong(even on low setting) and fills the tank faster than it can be siphoned down by the U tube and overflow. And while this option is cheaper, in using only 1 pump vs 2, it seems like the first option would give me a lot more control on the flow rates, and can just help everything go better.

All in all, like I said, this is my first go with trying to mod a tank out, and deal with all these things, so ANY help or tips or advise would be super appreciated!! Thank you for everyone that took the time to read this!!

-Mike

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 of pumping water down to a sump, then trying to match the flow with an adjustable pump back up the display will never work reliably. Even if you perfectly tune the pump, it will eventually get contaminated with algae, etc and slow down the flow. If you're lucky you'll just have to readjust the pump. More likely, you'll overflow either the display or the sump.

Option 2 is a much better option. Lots of people run siphon overflows. They are a lot more reliable if you run an aqualifter or similar pump at the top of siphon to draw out any air and restart the siphon automatically if the return pump loses power for any reason.

Option 3, and what I did on my tank, was drill a hole in the back of the glass and then built a small glass overflow that siliconed to the back of the tank. I actually drilled two holes because my tank 220 gallons. If for some reason the glass overflow didn't work, a ghost overflow will slide right into the holes, but the glass is working great.

IMG_20171119_163107.jpg

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two-way pumping would be the opposite of complete control. Unless you have a sophisticated control system ( = another failure point ) then you'll never get them to balance. Plus, when power goes out the outflow pump becomes a pre-primed siphon.
Most reliable - drill the back if it's not tempered or get a glass shop to drill for you.
Pretty reliable - name-brand overflow box (CPR, etc.).
Maybe reliable - DIY overflow system. I've done this, and it's a pain to get right.

OP
OP
ReGinn

ReGinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Thank yall so much!! This has definitely helped me out!! I didn't know that about using the 2 pumps. So I will probably go with the drilled hole in to the tank, and do the overflow out the back. Thank yall again for the help!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back