Insanely high Nitrate and phosphate

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but my glass needs cleaning.
200gl FOWLR, 3 trigger, puffer, queen angle, file fish, rock mover wrasse, eel, unknown Fish withblue with yellow tail and nasty tang.
Sump, protein skimmer, charcoal, filter socks, small UV....Can't grow micro algea....but that is another story.
18 months out of fallow.
About a year ago, I started using Salifert and thought they kit was bad because showed nitrate and phosphate off yesterday charts.
I change 25gl weekly and I am an over feeder....but lately I feed 1 cube per fish twice a day and the eel about 3 silversides every other day.

I have started changing 50 gl about every 3 days, so far 200gl. Still off the charts. I moved my rocks and am pulling out nasty water. I use Vibrant weekly.

Here is the interesting part...my observation tank which is only inverts right now.....same high levels, I add small amounts of seaweed twice a week.....same high levels

RO/DI water instant ocean salt....water has no nitrate or phosphate when made.

So, what could be driving my levels so high? Should I keep the pace on 50 gl 2 times a week until the levels reach 0?

Attachments

• 20210605_181529.mp4
    51.9 MB
  • 20210605_183222.mp4
    18 MB
OP
OP
Damon Jensen

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but my glass needs cleaning.
200gl FOWLR, 3 trigger, puffer, queen angle, file fish, rock mover wrasse, eel, unknown Fish withblue with yellow tail and nasty tang.
Sump, protein skimmer, charcoal, filter socks, small UV....Can't grow micro algea....but that is another story.
18 months out of fallow.
About a year ago, I started using Salifert and thought they kit was bad because showed nitrate and phosphate off yesterday charts.
I change 25gl weekly and I am an over feeder....but lately I feed 1 cube per fish twice a day and the eel about 3 silversides every other day.

I have started changing 50 gl about every 3 days, so far 200gl. Still off the charts. I moved my rocks and am pulling out nasty water. I use Vibrant weekly.

Here is the interesting part...my observation tank which is only inverts right now.....same high levels, I add small amounts of seaweed twice a week.....same high levels

RO/DI water instant ocean salt....water has no nitrate or phosphate when made.

So, what could be driving my levels so high? Should I keep the pace on 50 gl 2 times a week until the levels reach 0?
Also all other levels are normal.
Fish have no issues, but invert die...I know Brad my blueline and 4he other crew eat the inverts, but I cannot keep a seahare more than 2 days even when protected from Brad

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two 150-gallon FOWLR are both Nitrates 160+ ppm, Phosphates 5.0 ppm. I feed heavy like you. Fish are all beautiful and happy, but I did buy a Sulphur Denitrator to try to get the levels down due to Cyno. I started a thread to track the Sulphur Denitrator’s progress if you want to follow it.

Back