"Insert Hitchhiker ID Here"

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1483030223.070778.jpg

I have some wild rock. Over the course of 6 months, these beautiful hitchhikers have appeared twice, in the same spot on the same rock. They appeared all of a sudden, then disappeared within 48 hours. Once they are gone, there is no sign that they were there in the first place.

You will notice that some of them have what appear to be hydroids shooting off the side of the base. They even seem to emerge right through my coralline algae. I'm not sure what other information you might need to help ID this.

Tahoe61 suggested that they are a type of tunicate. Any other ideas?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cil and I have been conversing about this and I have no idea what it is. Well, I have ideas, but nothing that helps at this point. I see hydroids among it, so it could be that or tunicates or even this weird type sponge. None fit it perfectly.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like some sort of reproductive stage. Anyone know of anything that sporulates/has a sporophyte like this? Algae/kelp?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cil311

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like some sort of reproductive stage. Anyone know of anything that sporulates/has a sporophyte like this? Algae/kelp?

I have another bloom of this stuff. Suggestions on how to ID it? It has a cycle of about two weeks. It starts as tiny little branches of what looks like flat branching green algae, then turns into little tufts of green (as pictured), then turns into these grey things originally pictured. ???
32bb7f246e25bfb6873af3cfbc6c3b54.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another bloom of this stuff. Suggestions on how to ID it? It has a cycle of about two weeks. It starts as tiny little branches of what looks like flat branching green algae, then turns into little tufts of green (as pictured), then turns into these grey things originally pictured. ???
32bb7f246e25bfb6873af3cfbc6c3b54.jpg
Where did you get the rock from? and how long has it been in the tank? Has it spread to other rocks?

OP
OP
cil311

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wild rock from a fellow reefer. Not sure of the exact origin. I've had the rock since last summer. This seems to bloom every 4 months or so. It hasn't spread to other rocks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's wild rock from a fellow reefer. Not sure of the exact origin. I've had the rock since last summer. This seems to bloom every 4 months or so. It hasn't spread to other rocks.
If its Florida rock you can did into those local resources to see if it matches an algae on record. Indo becomes a bit more difficult.

The growth is baffling. Its growing like a fungus or mushroom does. Most of a mushroom fungus is in the tree or ground, the mushroom is just a flower.. I honestly dont know how many do this in the ocean.
Here is one marine fungus I found.
http://www.aphotomarine.com/fungi_marine_stigmidium_ascophylli.html

A far as algaes go the only one I found that does root deep into rock is Neomeris Annulata, a finger algae, but it only roots and the full plant is exposed.

My self, if its not spreading Id keep it, it quite beautiful, or find a hobbyist that would.

The only other way to more easily ID it would be a microscope and study the leaf structure when it comes out and a piece of the the bloom. even that would be tough unless your a bit of a biologist.

OP
OP
cil311

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its Florida rock you can did into those local resources to see if it matches an algae on record. Indo becomes a bit more difficult.

The growth is baffling. Its growing like a fungus or mushroom does. Most of a mushroom fungus is in the tree or ground, the mushroom is just a flower.. I honestly dont know how many do this in the ocean.
Here is one marine fungus I found.
http://www.aphotomarine.com/fungi_marine_stigmidium_ascophylli.html

A far as algaes go the only one I found that does root deep into rock is Neomeris Annulata, a finger algae, but it only roots and the full plant is exposed.

My self, if its not spreading Id keep it, it quite beautiful, or find a hobbyist that would.

The only other way to more easily ID it would be a microscope and study the leaf structure when it comes out and a piece of the the bloom. even that would be tough unless your a bit of a biologist.

Thanks so much for the tips!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back