Multiple invert ID request

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few different ID requests. Hoping to get my anxiety down...or up...depending on the answers. I started with a hefty amount of live rock. The best hitchhiker was a mantis shrimp. He's staying! The next best was a Christmas tree worm! Also staying. I also got loads of feather duster worms.

But I also got quite a few of these guys. To the right of the Christmas tree worm. ID please?
20240101_175756.jpg

Then today, I found a couple new friends and I have no idea what either of them are. Not the best pic, but I'll try and get a couple others if this isn't good enough. One is some sort of filter feeder/anemone thing. And the other is some sort of starfish. Do they stay or die?
20240114_093239.jpg

And a couple others I'm unsure of. Circled each.

20240114_135533.jpg
20240114_135323.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the right of the Christmas tree worm. ID please?
It's a kind of feather duster worm (a harmless filter feeder). I'm also not convinced those are Christmas Tree Worms (Spirobranchus giganteus complex), but it's definitely some kind of feather duster too.
One is some sort of filter feeder/anemone thing. And the other is some sort of starfish. Do they stay or die?
From what I can see of the tentacles there, I'd say probably an anemone, but a better pic would definitely help with that one.

The other is definitely an Aquilonastra starfish (known in the hobby as "Asterina" starfish, though those are a different genus not really in the hobby). You might be able to get a species ID if you can get a clear picture of the full top of the star under good, white lighting. Mixed reviews of reef-safeness, but most species in the genus seem to be safe for everything except (in some cases) zoas.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a kind of feather duster worm (a harmless filter feeder).
Ok cool! Appreciate it.
I'm also not convinced those are Christmas Tree Worms (Spirobranchus giganteus complex), but it's definitely some kind of feather duster too.
Oh really?! A few folks had mentioned Christmas tree worm and I've been convinced of it since. I wish there were more of these in here.
but a better pic would definitely help with that one.
Yeah, it's in a tough spot away from the front pane and gets distorted quickly when I zoom in. I'll keep trying to get a better one. If it is a type of anemone, I'm assuming that's a bad thing right?
The other is definitely an Aquilonastra starfish (known in the hobby as "Asterina" starfish, though those are a different genus not really in the hobby).
Got it. Thanks. I didn't think it was an asterina as it was not tiny and all white like I am used to seeing. But the body type most definitely resembles the asterinas. So far, I have only seen one but from what I understand, that can quickly become many. Potential pest removal...or leave it be? Hmmm? What would you do?
You might be able to get a species ID if you can get a clear picture of the full top of the star under good, white lighting. Mixed reviews of reef-safeness, but most species in the genus seem to be safe for everything except (in some cases) zoa
I will try and remove it and place it somewhere to get a better pic and angle.
nice rock, where is it from?
Salty Bottom Reef Co

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a type of anemone, I'm assuming that's a bad thing right?
Most people would probably recommend removing it, yeah. Depending on the species/type, it could be a good sump anemone though.
I didn't think it was an asterina as it was not tiny and all white like I am used to seeing. But the body type most definitely resembles the asterinas. So far, I have only seen one but from what I understand, that can quickly become many. Potential pest removal...or leave it be? Hmmm? What would you do?
Yeah, these stars can be pretty variable in size and color from one species to another; most species seem to be able to reproduce fast enough to be considered pests, yes. Some people like them and consider them good CUC, others hate them and feel they detract from their display. Personally, I like them, so I'd keep them.
The red circle there is a barnacle (harmless filter feeder); the yellow circles are probably either Spionid or Chaetopterid worms - both are generally harmless/beneficial (exceptions for Coral-boring Spionid Worms).

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Im not an expert, but I think the top one is a feather duster (looks like Bispira brunnea) and the bottom looks like a hydroid (or mabye a glass ball anenome?)
Expert or not...I appreciate the links. Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner. For some reason, I didn't see your post until just now. Thanks again.
Second pic looks like some type of hydroid and perhaps a subspecies of asterina star fish?
Appreciate it.
Most people would probably recommend removing it, yeah. Depending on the species/type, it could be a good sump anemone though.
I cannot see how I would even remove it. I may just have to epoxy over it. I have only seen one like this so far. I'm sure there's probably more. I have A LOT of nooks and crannies all over this tank.
Yeah, these stars can be pretty variable in size and color from one species to another; most species seem to be able to reproduce fast enough to be considered pests, yes. Some people like them and consider them good CUC, others hate them and feel they detract from their display. Personally, I like them, so I'd keep them.
It's my first day seeing it. So far, it hasn't ventured far from where I took that pic. Seems to be working on algae. So maybe I got lucky? But I'd hate to lose site of it and then find dozens one day chomping at coral. So I can gamble and wait...might get lucky and have a voracious algae eater or omnivore that dislikes the taste of corals. Or with my typical luck, have a coral loving glutton.

The red circle there is a barnacle (harmless filter feeder);
Sweet! Thanks.
the yellow circles are probably either Spionid or Chaetopterid worms - both are generally harmless/beneficial (exceptions for Coral-boring Spionid Worms).
Uhhh..coral boring worms?! Seriously? How would I even know at this point. I've seen dozens of those dual tentacle worms all over my rock work. I'm going to pretend that they are harmless and try to sleep soundly tonight. Thanks a lot for making book a session with the therapist now...

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...how about this thing?! I have some cool videos of it but I can't post here. I haven't setup a YouTube account to share videos to either. But maybe the pic is good enough.

Also, the shell behind it is a big bivalve of some sort. And attached to that bivalve is another bivalve species on the left hand side. Also, a cool little red bubble macro algae of some sort is attached to it.

Anyway, the branch looking things are tentacles and when they capture items in the water column, it brings in into the center where I'm assuming is its mouth. ID please?!
1000006431.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I even know at this point. I've seen dozens of those dual tentacle worms all over my rock work. I'm going to pretend that they are harmless and try to sleep soundly tonight. Thanks a lot for making book a session with the therapist now...
Haha, if you find them sprouting out of corals, they're coral-boring (and some species are incredibly invasive and difficult to remove). If you've got dozens, then I'd keep an eye on it - they're probably not a coral-boring species, but some regular species can still get out of hand population-wise in some tanks.
Also, the shell behind it is a big bivalve of some sort. And attached to that bivalve is another bivalve species on the left hand side. Also, a cool little red bubble macro algae of some sort is attached to it.

Anyway, the branch looking things are tentacles and when they capture items in the water column, it brings in into the center where I'm assuming is its mouth. ID please?!
Cool bivalves there! The red bubble there is a kind of "Red Grape" algae (a good Botryocladia species) - a nice find.

The branches are the tentacles of a filter-feeding sea cucumber of some variety - as long as you don't put something in your tank that would harass it, it should be harmless/beneficial too.

The reason for avoiding things that would harass them is because lot of species may release Holothurin (a fish toxin) when heavily stressed/being preyed on, so I always recommend keeping some carbon and mixed saltwater on hand in case of emergencies with sea cucumbers (they're super cool creatures though; I like the sand-sifting kinds best, but the filter feeders are generally a lot prettier). The toxins are very, very rarely an issue in our tanks - it's good to be informed about these things just in case though.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool bivalves there! The red bubble there is a kind of "Red Grape" algae (a good Botryocladia species) - a nice find.
Yeah, I have various bivalves on a few rocks.
Awesome info! Thanks so much again.
The branches are the tentacles of a filter-feeding sea cucumber of some variety - as long as you don't put something in your tank that would harass it, it should be harmless/beneficial too.
I do have plans for fish in the near future. I am currently working on a stocking list, but what is an example of something that would harass it? Wrasses? I was planning on running carbon in one of chambers anyway. I do have plenty of space. I don't have a sump. This is a IM AIO 50GAL. The chambers are spacious enough though.

I went ahead and uploaded a quick video I made. I needed to do it anyway, so I have an easy way to share videos here and for my local reefers club forum. Maybe this will help with other's ID needs in the future as well.
ShrimpNReefDude YouTube Short

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is an example of something that would harass it? Wrasses?
Cucumbers are safe with most things - my recommendation would be to avoid reef-safe with caution species or not reef-safe species; things like puffers, aggressive triggers, etc. could be problematic.

I'd assume reef-safe wrasse would be fine, but i cant think and Slocke would probably be good to ask to double check that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've got a few different ID requests. Hoping to get my anxiety down...or up...depending on the answers. I started with a hefty amount of live rock. The best hitchhiker was a mantis shrimp. He's staying! The next best was a Christmas tree worm! Also staying. I also got loads of feather duster worms.

But I also got quite a few of these guys. To the right of the Christmas tree worm. ID please?
20240101_175756.jpg

Then today, I found a couple new friends and I have no idea what either of them are. Not the best pic, but I'll try and get a couple others if this isn't good enough. One is some sort of filter feeder/anemone thing. And the other is some sort of starfish. Do they stay or die?
20240114_093239.jpg

20240114_135533.jpg
20240114_135323.jpg
Top pic is indeed xmas tree worm
Pic 2 appears to be majano but leaning more towards hidden cup coral
Pic 3 - spirobid worms based on the twin palps used for feeding
Pic 3 - sea cucumber

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate that. I was hoping it was. Everything/ everywhere I've seen was pointing toward that.
Hmmm...off to google I go! LOL.
Pic 3 - sea cucumber
The red circled item is also a sea cucumber?

Or are you referring to the last pic I posted with the video?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic 3 - sea cucumber
This pic sea cucumber head:

1705283081932.png

Sea cucumber:

1705283136448.png
1705283215926.png

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic sea cucumber head:

1705283081932.png
Thanks for the reference pics. I'm just surprised because it will have to breakout of the rock if it plans on swimming out of there. I'm guessing it found a spot in the rocks when it was a larvae, but I cannot see how it will continue to grow in the rock. The opening is tiny. The tentacles barely fit through the opening.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I doubt the first worm is a Christmas Tree Worm is be because those have multiple levels/tiers to their feather crowns that all basically come out of a central (tiered) stalk (larger at the base and tapering smaller as it goes out from the base - the multiple tiers make it look like a Christmas Tree; this is a somewhat unique trait, but it can be found on some other kinds of worms/worm-like critters too). For reference:
Based on the pic shared, your worm seems to have just one tier to its feather crown, just folded in on one side giving it a horseshoe shape that mimics the look of another tier. For reference:
Either way, they're pretty and harmless filter-feeders though.

Also, since you have a bunch of different filter feeders, I'd suggest feeding phytoplankton to the tank regularly- particularly Isochrysis galbana (T-iso), Chaetoceros, Thalassiosira, and Tetraselmis (preferably multiple/a blend with multiple of them), as that should help keep them properly fed.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the bottom section of that worm? It has a small section that spiraled. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but maybe zoom in. Either way, like you said, it's harmless. It's a nice unique filter feeder compared to the rest.

Also, since you have a bunch of different filter feeders, I'd suggest feeding phytoplankton to the tank regularly- particularly Isochrysis galbana (T-iso), Chaetoceros, Thalassiosira, and Tetraselmis (preferably multiple/a blend with multiple of them), as that should help keep them properly fed.
I've been feeding the tank a combination of two different phytoplankton. Mainly because I have loads of copepods. But of course all the filter feeders are enjoying it too. I've also been soaking various coral powders with the phyto. I've target fed some corals and a bunch gets into the water column.
20240103_174440.jpg

20240103_174513.jpg

20240103_175245.jpg

20240103_174531.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the bottom section of that worm? It has a small section that spiraled. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but maybe zoom in.
I can't see a second layer to the crown or a spiral at all, but if you can then that'd raise the chances of it being a Christmas Tree Worm. Is it growing out of a coral? Or out of a tube/rock?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back