Is it possible to have a Christmas Tree Worm on a Euphillia?

FishyHotel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I got a torch coral about 2 months ago and I noticed it had a worm skeleton tube wrapping around it. I tried to scrape it off but it was very hard and stuck on so I didn’t worry about it. It’s been fun to watch, and while researching Christmas tree worms it looks like they have a special cover called an operculum which I think this has. I was thinking it was some kind of feather duster but now I’m wondering if it’s even possible to have a Christmas tree worm on something other than a Porites. Any thoughts or experience would be most appreciated, thanks!

IMG_6567.jpeg IMG_6571.jpeg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’s absolutely possible. I’ve seen them with leptastrea as well as the occasional Zoa or mushroom (on the rock but not really near them).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread's old by now, but yes, Christmas tree worms can colonize other corals too (I'd have to go looking up what ones they're known to associate with, but the coral they land on plays a major role in whether they survive or not as larvae) - this is some dependent on the worm's species.

That said, from what I can see, your worm there isn't a Christmas tree worm - it's some other kind of feather duster (I can't see it clearly enough to tell which, but they're all harmless). Still, it's a neat hitchhiker to have!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back