Melanarus wrasse safe with fan worms?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a yellow Coris wrasse and loved it, but it jumped out and so I was thinking about replacing it with a melanarus— but I wanted to see what the consensus is on if they are safe with coco worms, Christmas tree worms, cleaner shrimp, and porcelain crabs?

Is the melanarus safe or should I go with another yellow Coris wrasse?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, they are not considered safe, but many people say that if they added the wrasse before any of the shrimp etc. Then the wrasse did alright. I will see for myself as I ordered a Mel wrasse from DrReef, and I have a cleaner shrimp and some peppermint shrimp.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept both of those wrasses long-term, but never tried those worms. I would suspect that the risk would be pretty much the same between those two species of pretty similar wrasses.

If you want something that isn't exactly the same fish, H. luecoxanthus is the closest cousin to chrysus (yellow "coris"). Other good, smallish, Halichoeres are biocellatus, cluadia, and radiant (that one is a terrible shipper), and a couple others.

If you want wrasses with no chance of messing with your worms and other motile inverts, fairies and flashers are water column feeders (plankton eaters).

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have kept both of those wrasses long-term, but never tried those worms. I would suspect that the risk would be pretty much the same between those two species of pretty similar wrasses.

If you want something that isn't exactly the same fish, H. luecoxanthus is the closest cousin to chrysus (yellow "coris"). Other good, smallish, Halichoeres are biocellatus, cluadia, and radiant (that one is a terrible shipper), and a couple others.

If you want wrasses with no chance of messing with your worms and other motile inverts, fairies and flashers are water column feeders (plankton eaters).
It sounds like the melanarus may be a high risk. I’m most worried about my Christmas tree and coco worms. I think I’ll probably try the yellow Coris again, but I wasn’t aware of the biocellatus, I will look into that one. I appreciate all the insights and help!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6578.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1832.jpeg
You should also consider an H. iridis.(Radiant) It is the most unique color of this Genus. I like this guy the best from that genus by far.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back