Instant algae growth on glass!!

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can clean my glass and within 30 minutes it will have a brown/green film of algae on it. I have zero algae growth other than the glass. I have been dosing nitrates for the last month and finally have them at 2ppm but I had the "instant dusting" problem before I started dosing. The only change in the glass algae is it is more green than brown after dosing nitrates. The tank is 4 months old and I had hoped it would go away on its own but it doesn't seem to be. I am using 0 tds water and have a Hanna ULR phosphate tester but find the results to be random and inconsistent.

Rather than clean the glass every 30 minutes I have considered installing an automotive style windshield wiper set to run every 15 minutes but hoping you guys have a better solution!:D

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,....I can clean the glass every 15 minutes and get a enough off to cloud the tank.

Nem4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a sample and put it in a zip lock bag. Lay it flat and let it be for a few minutes. If you see it group together, form a "chain" or snot. You just may have dinos. Look real close. You can see tiny individuals.

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be difficult to get a sample as it turns to powder/dust when I scrape the glass?

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably just film algae if it's green. What are you using to clean the glass? Mine comes back pretty quick if I don't use a blade once a week. I don't think the scrubbing side of my magnet removes all of the algae.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem so I adjusted my lights so it wouldn't hit the front glass as strong now I clean once a week

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is every side of the tank,...2 hours after cleaning the glass with a Tunze Care cleaner the glass is very dirty with snail tracks through the algae.

The film is heavy enough to make it difficult to see into the tank 2 hours after cleaning,...I have to do something? 8 hours after cleaning the glass it is difficult to even see into the tank.

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever is growing on the glass looks to be the same brown/rust colored stuff on my substrate. I cleaned the substrate last night and this morning it was brown again. I think it grows equally fast on the substrate as the glass, it is just much easier to see it on the clear glass.

Any ideas what it is and how to fight it?

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4296b399979cfd80f8cabb3132bc937a.jpg

Nem4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks completely normal for a new tank. Don't do anything drastic. Ride it out. Took mine about a week. Maybe a Lil longer. Be patient! I know it's frustrating!

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can clean my glass and within 30 minutes it will have a brown/green film of algae on it. I have zero algae growth other than the glass. I have been dosing nitrates for the last month and finally have them at 2ppm but I had the "instant dusting" problem before I started dosing. The only change in the glass algae is it is more green than brown after dosing nitrates. The tank is 4 months old and I had hoped it would go away on its own but it doesn't seem to be. I am using 0 tds water and have a Hanna ULR phosphate tester but find the results to be random and inconsistent.

Rather than clean the glass every 30 minutes I have considered installing an automotive style windshield wiper set to run every 15 minutes but hoping you guys have a better solution!:D
I assume your problem got fixed. What was the solution?

Hughesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mark75 , hope you are well. What was the solution/outcome of the above? I am going through the exact same. I've sent for an ICP as I suspect high silicate but would be great to get your insight. Many thanks in advance

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What was the solution? I have the same thing happening now

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back