Instant cycle myth?

umersaleem0388

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one,

I got into saltwater hobby last year. I wanted to start small because most people made it seem like it’s a difficult hobby. I got a 29 gallon tank with 2 clowns, 1 damsel, purple firefish and a flasher wrasse. All tank mates were thriving and then i started to add few softies to the tank. The tank ran for about a year and then I decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon. I transferred all the rocks and media from my filter to the 75 gallon. I transferred the fish over as well and added frtiz zyme 900 the refrigerated version. Waited two weeks and all parameters were in range. I then added 3 lyretail anthias, waited two weeks and all my tests are still in range. I wanted your opinion on instant cycle with established media. I would like to believe that it worked in my case. Did it work for yours? The first picture is my 29 gallon and the second picture is from my 75 gallon mixed reef.

6BCF0B99-0E32-42AD-B812-53F36F17122C.jpeg 6B428500-2C73-4A22-BEB9-3079047952D7.jpeg

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely it works. Fritz TurboStart 900 is LIVE bacteria so it costs more. The live rock you added are a huge benefit as well. My last tank I started with dry rock and Fritz TurboStart. BRS has a great deal of information on this and cycling.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one,

I got into saltwater hobby last year. I wanted to start small because most people made it seem like it’s a difficult hobby. I got a 29 gallon tank with 2 clowns, 1 damsel, purple firefish and a flasher wrasse. All tank mates were thriving and then i started to add few softies to the tank. The tank ran for about a year and then I decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon. I transferred all the rocks and media from my filter to the 75 gallon. I transferred the fish over as well and added frtiz zyme 900 the refrigerated version. Waited two weeks and all parameters were in range. I then added 3 lyretail anthias, waited two weeks and all my tests are still in range. I wanted your opinion on instant cycle with established media. I would like to believe that it worked in my case. Did it work for yours? The first picture is my 29 gallon and the second picture is from my 75 gallon mixed reef.

6BCF0B99-0E32-42AD-B812-53F36F17122C.jpeg 6B428500-2C73-4A22-BEB9-3079047952D7.jpeg
Yes, in every instance it worked for me. No reason why one can't instant cycle provided the circumstances are right.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you added new sand and more dry rock, that sand and new dry rock will mostly likely go through a cycle as it establishes its biofilm. But you won't have any ammonia problems.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waiting two weeks was not a skip cycle. this is a skip cycle:

Reefa palooza Florida just skip cycled an entire convention hall of ten thousand dollar reefs, all began on the exact same start date. none had to show up early to begin a cycle, none had to consult api for permission to begin selling us product. welcome to the duality that is convention cycling vs reef forum cycling, what we get taught is the buyer's habit. the sellers use the free science.

yours sounds like a bottle bac skip cycle

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

umersaleem0388

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you added new sand and more dry rock, that sand and new dry rock will mostly likely go through a cycle as it establishes its biofilm. But you won't have any ammonia problems.
I added life rock by caribsea and new aragonite sand. I did not transfer old sand over to the new tank.

NanoLuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started out with my 20 gallon I waited a few days to let everything settle and then added Instant Ocean Nitrifying Bacteria. I had absolutely no cycled media and my rock was dry, so everything was from scratch. Literally the next day I added a clownfish to get the cycle going and waited about a month before adding another one. It worked! Nothing died and the fish I started with are still with me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back