Instant Ocean 160-Gallon Bucket for $23.36 @ Chewy's - LIMIT 2

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not the buckets but how about this at Petco?

15lb bags of Instant Ocean are on sale for $11.99, PLUS they currently have a buy 2 get one free offer on the website. That is $23.98 for 45lbs (I believe the buckets are 46lbs) plus $5.99 shipping. Buy 6 packets and get free shipping to save even more.

PLUS, if you haven't used the recurring order promo yet, you can get 35% of your first order and the offers are stackable. I have just ordered 9 packets (equivalent to just short of 3 buckets) and the total, including shipping and taxes, was $56.22, which works out to an equivalent of roughly $19 a bucket :)

Hopefully I haven't got my maths wrong, as I now have a lot of salt on the way :oops:
I just bought a 150g bucket of Coralife salt (it’s decent) for $22.39 with free shipping. It gave me a double 35% discount for signing up for auto ship (can cancel later). That might be a better deal.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the sale but ordered 2 buckets IORC from Petsmart and 2 from Petco delivered for $37.99 each. Well I got the 2 from Petsmart and the bucket was packed in a box which is not good, the box took the shape of the bucket and was hard to handle. Two days ago I got my first from petco and was unusual because the box was very light, when I opened it no bucket of salt but full of packing material (air bags) and a tape gun. The second was scheduled for today and UPS website says was delivered at front door 445pm, well guess what!? no package, nothing. Both times I called Petco and explained it to them that these buckets of salt should not be in a box, can be shipped as is with a label slapped on the side, they do have handles. My guess is the bucket fell out of the box and broke so just send me an empty box, or no package at all. What a fiasco.
My rant for today

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cmon…support your local fish stores! #saynotocorperate
I certainly do. Buy all my corals, other supplies. Was just there 2 days ago. I can't pass up salt for half price, I am retired now on limited income so forgive me. Thanks for your understanding. Four buckets of salt should last me a year.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cmon…support your local fish stores! #saynotocorperate
No one is obligated to support any business. People don’t get wealthy by paying more than they have to for things. Buy livestock at the LFS if they earn it. Buy anything else as cheap as you can and have more money for livestock.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some of the Live Aquaria brand salt from Petco. They have the small bags on sale. buy 2 bags, get 1 free. Not as cheap as the IO salt, but it mixes way cleaner/faster for me than IO ever does. 42 lbs was $32 total. not bad for a fast/clean mixing salt.

I bought some IO once when it was on sale previously.... I dislike it so much I'm struggling to use it up now. I don't care how cheap that stuff gets, I can't stand using it. LA salt is only a few bucks more and is a way better salt in my experience.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too only buy from my local store. As a small business owner I can appreciate that a few extra dollars is the difference between having a great local store.. or not.

It's very frustrating having companies undercut you to a point you simply can't compete. Huge deal though, I won't lie it hurts seeing that price. Thanks for letting everyone know.

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too only buy from my local store. As a small business owner I can appreciate that a few extra dollars is the difference between having a great local store.. or not.

It's very frustrating having companies undercut you to a point you simply can't compete. Huge deal though, I won't lie it hurts seeing that price. Thanks for letting everyone know.
I’m certainly guilty of supporting a little bit of everyone. From LFS to big box. However, I remain conscious of my spending and support my local small businesses as much as possible. I am not wealthy but understand business and basic finances.
Of course paying less is most appealing at first. Then you end up in a situation where only one business is in town and they have knocked everyone else out and now can start raising prices back up.
Also. Your LFS isn’t charging you more on products than a big box competitor because of greed. They are doing it to keep their doors open.
Do you know that an LFS can order X amount of a product and pay Y.
Where a giant can buy X * 100 of same product and therefore pay Y - 10-50%.
It’s a numbers game.
Also doesn’t help that many manufacturers have made it harder for small businesses to remain competitive with MOQ that they know are not sustainable for anyone but a mega retailer. On top of price setting that is advantageous to warehouse style businesses that can not only store enough product but also distribute it.
My rant for day is over lol.
Apologies for grammar.
I’m poor. Yeah. Hard to gain wealth paying more for something. Harder to go back in tim

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here. I own a small retail related business. We’re called the backbone of the economy yet these huge corporate stores make it near impossible to compete with. I do try and price match when I can though, and always hook up my repeat customers with free merch from time to time

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A58F46B8-9066-4695-8932-02C1DFA29E42.jpeg

4 buckets delivered in 24 hours free
This is awesome!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason the FedEx driver isn't throwing the boxes onto your porch and denting your front door is bc their overweight-Burger-King-eating physique can't lift the Instant Ocean buckets over their heads.

Fail Fed Ex GIF
Dang that looks like a tv or computer monitor! Ouch

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw my FedEx guy flipping my house the bird as he drove off after delivering me 4 buckets and 2 cases of canned dog food. o_O
That’s silly, he should be flipping his fedEx truck for not providing a dolly. Or maybe himself for forgetting to load one before making his rounds

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some of the Live Aquaria brand salt from Petco. They have the small bags on sale. buy 2 bags, get 1 free. Not as cheap as the IO salt, but it mixes way cleaner/faster for me than IO ever does. 42 lbs was $32 total. not bad for a fast/clean mixing salt.

I bought some IO once when it was on sale previously.... I dislike it so much I'm struggling to use it up now. I don't care how cheap that stuff gets, I can't stand using it. LA salt is only a few bucks more and is a way better salt in my experience.
I did like the liveaquria salt but went back to regular IO. The liveaquaria mixing is indeed superior but at the end of the day I prefer to save money lol... I can't stand reef crystals though. It leaves that floating brown crud and I never want that crap again.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Petco salt was delivered today... unfortunately, it came beat to heck and leaking salt all over my front porch. (Thanks UPS!) Opened up the boxes to find them all full of loose salt. loose bags in boxes, with minimal packing material.
Nice packing job Petco! Just got off live chat with them, they are sending me a new order of salt for free. I was able to salvage maybe 65% of the salt from the original order between what was still in the bags and what was still in the bottom of the boxes. ugh. hopefully the next delivery doesn't get so beat up, but I'm not holding my breath... but as long as I can salvage about 40% of the next shipment, i'll be happy. haha

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back