Instant ocean gel foods

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I thought I'd share my experience with this stuff. I bought it of fosters bc the were out of cyclopeeze freeze dried,and it was half off with bogo, I thought I would try some .... It seemed like a novel idea to replace frozen foods so I started using it to feed my newly set up biocube. 2 days later I started noticing crazy brown algae everywhere. I attribute most of this to new tank syndrome just getting a mini cycle after adding live stock, but I think the major cause is the gel that's used in the foods. Any ideas? I'm gonna take some of the food up to my aquatic ecology lab and see if I can figure out if it is indeed the food.

Morgan

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope, I never tasted it.. the instructinos said to just put it in teh tank and the fish would eat off it. to me that sounded like a disaster waiting to happen so I dissolved some in some tank water. just felt like it had too much jellatin in it like some of the frozen foods I have bought... (cant remember which one). I had to mush it with my fingers to break it up and thats when I put it in the Dumbbutt bucket.

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent heard one person so anything good about the gel foods.

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid at all costs !!!!!!!!! Ok so I trashed the gel stuff after I noticed my corals all closed up after feeding. I decided to let it sit over night ...... Params were so out of wack I had to do an emergency water change in 15 min before I had to open the pharmacy........ LONG STORY SHORT IS THAT THIS STUFF HOWEVER YES IT DOES HAVE CYCLOPEEZE BUT THE FILLER IS LOADED WITH NITRATES , PHOSPHATES AND SILICATES. Maybe I just got a bad batch.... Needless to say I made the two hour drive to the nearest fish store that stocks frozen foods to find a suitable replacement...I hope my zoas can make it through this they aren't looking good.... :(

mobatic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some of that IO stuff in the LFS too, I was about to pick some up because it was a new item and wanted try some out.
There were a variety of gel foods and dry foods, any know how well those dry foods are?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back