Instant Ocean - New bags, salt caked to a brick

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice this? I used to purchase my salt from DFS but since they are gone I have been ordering from Amazon. This is only my 2nd or 3rd box from amazon but all 4 bags arrived caked into a solid brick. I noticed these bags are made of a different plastic than what has been used for the past 10+ years.

I broke up a bag and tried to mix it, but it’s still cloudy 24h later (precipitates which won’t go back into solution). I’ve contacted IO customer service to see if they can send me a replacement.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. Seems suspicious that this happened to me for the first time with these new bags. Wondering if they just missed the mark with these new bags and have a whole lot out there with issues.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudyness can happen with any salt. Iirc, it has to do with temperature and mixing too much too fast. From what i understand its not an issue but takes time to clear up.

keystoneckp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a box yesterday from my LFS and all bags are fine, I dump 2 bags in a 5 gl bucket to mix
before making my salt water

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order mine off amazon as well, no issues with the bags myself but I started doing the buckets, easier to ship for everyone

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience is that this can happen with any salt brand, as has been stated already.

"Bricking" is not a good condition. There are theories of why this happens, one is moisture. Moisture can certainly alter salt's physical appearance and start a chemical reaction with added components, but my theory is that moisture and heat, combined with age does this "bricking".

Boxes/buckets sit in uncontrolled environmental conditions such as warehouses with no humidity control and no temperature control. If it sits long enough, it "bricks".

I've taken bricked salt and busted it up and mixed it with RO/DI water and it too precipitated and stayed cloudy. Last box of salt I mixed this way, I tested it's levels. Calcium was low 330, alkalinity was sky high (14-15 dkh) magnesium was low 1100.

Moral of the story, don't use any salt that you buy that is bricked! If bought at a LFS, open the box and inspect the bags/bucket.

Request another box/bucket or get a refund!

Last edited:

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use Instant Ocean, but I haven't noticed the "bricking" in unopened bags with the new plastic material.

However, I do hate the new plastic that the bags are made from. The bags are very difficult to reseal tightly to prevent additional moisture intrusion after opening.

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are bricking as well with the new bagging material they are using. Thought it might be because I was storing them in the garage (in Florida). Stored this new batch in the fully AC'd house and those are bricking as well.

Those of you commenting that "salt always mixes cloudy" are incorrect here. the previous bagging material Instant Ocean used (softer plastic - not crinkly) never mixed up cloudy (after sufficient mixing and storage). it never bricked up with the older bag material. This new bagging material allows air / water / humidity into the salt mix. Once it bricks and you use it in your water change - it's always cloudy after 8 hours to 24 hours of pre-mixing and longer term storage (weeks).

The "bricking" of the salt mix is beginning the dissolution of the salt mix - causing the cloudiness.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also happened to me with the IO new bags. I bought 4 boxes from my lfs to only have them turn to bricks a month later. Luckily my lfs let me swap them out. Unfortunately my new boxes that were swapped also turned to a brick within a month. There is something wrong with the new packaging.

I called Instant ocean and they told me to just use the salt and the cloudiness will go away. Well after 3 days of mixing the bricked salt the cloudiness never went away.

As my as I liked IO I had to switch salt brands as if you’re not using the salt instantly it turns to a brick.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a box of Reef Crystals that I purchased from Live Aquaria several months back. Just open the box this past weekend to find all 4 bags "bricked". Im seriuosly thinking about throwing them in the garbage. Im sure it's to late to ask for a refund.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd request a refund but I've bought a 50g bag that turned to a brick a few days in my truck. Ive never had this problem when using the buckets. I use reg IO. I think their bags breath too much

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use Instant Ocean, but I haven't noticed the "bricking" in unopened bags with the new plastic material.

However, I do hate the new plastic that the bags are made from. The bags are very difficult to reseal tightly to prevent additional moisture intrusion after opening.

I kept one of my old 5 gallon salt buckets for this. I buy the 200 gallon salt mix and just open one bag and pour it into my old salt bucket and then shake it up really well. This keeps out moisture and mixes the salt mix well at the same time.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one of my old 5 gallon salt buckets for this. I buy the 200 gallon salt mix and just open one bag and pour it into my old salt bucket and then shake it up really well. This keeps out moisture and mixes the salt mix well at the same time.
I don't have any more old salt buckets. I think one from Lowe's with a lid should work? Seems fairly tight.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any more old salt buckets. I think one from Lowe's with a lid should work? Seems fairly tight.

Call your LFS if you are close. I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you one for free. Lowe's bucket would work fine also. I couldn't tell you how many I've threw out before going to the 200 gallon boxes. I'm currently using Tropic Marine Pro that are in 5 gallon buckets but will probably go back to using IO as I have noticed no difference.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen because my cat punched a hole in the bag and moisture got in. I ended up just using that salt for my QT tanks which was fine for that use.

Contact amazon with photos or the seller on there and they should replace it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back