Instant Ocean Parameters ??

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little over a month ago I bought a bucket of IO. I bought it specifically for the lower magnesium level as I have been having an issue with high Mag levels in my tank. The mag levels with that bucket were around 1550 - 1600 depending on the kit I used. I contacted IO about the high Mag level, they ended up sending me a new bucket. Bucket #2 has the same mag levels or higher.

What is everyone's Mag levels with IO that you have purchased recently?

Thanks

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get a mag level of 1320-1380 if I'm making 50 gallons at a time and varying levels if I'm only making 5 gallons at a time. Are you using red sea to test your magnesium by any chance?

OP
OP
Willy315

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither normal IO nor Reef crystals have magnesium that high at 35 ppt.

maybe your salinity measurement is off, or your test kit.
I checked salinity with Hanna digital that was just calibrated and a refractometer. Using Red Sea and Nyos Mag test kits

OP
OP
Willy315

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get a mag level of 1320-1380 if I'm making 50 gallons at a time and varying levels if I'm only making 5 gallons at a time. Are you using red sea to test your magnesium by any chance?
Using Red Sea and Nyos Mag test kits

OP
OP
Willy315

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making 30 gallons at a time and shaking the bucket before adding the salt to the water.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put much stock in the readings from the Red Sea magnesium test kit. It's pretty common for it to give erroneous results. I no longer trust it for this very reason.

I can't speak to the Nyos magnesium test kit personally, but from what I've read, that one seems to be pretty accurate, assuming the test kit reagents aren't bad. I've never gotten a Mag reading that high from IO, so I suspect Randy's comment is probably where I would start. Have you tried taking any samples in to a LFS to have them compare with their test kits? If they get a result that is much lower, I would look at investing in a new Nyos test kit (and scrapping the Red Sea magnesium altogether).

OP
OP
Willy315

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put much stock in the readings from the Red Sea magnesium test kit. It's pretty common for it to give erroneous results. I no longer trust it for this very reason.

I can't speak to the Nyos magnesium test kit personally, but from what I've read, that one seems to be pretty accurate, assuming the test kit reagents aren't bad. I've never gotten a Mag reading that high from IO, so I suspect Randy's comment is probably where I would start. Have you tried taking any samples in to a LFS to have them compare with their test kits? If they get a result that is much lower, I would look at investing in a new Nyos test kit (and scrapping the Red Sea magnesium altogether).
The Nyos kit is about two months old. I will try to run by the LFS tomorrow.

OP
OP
Willy315

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by the LFS yesterday and my freshly mixed IO tested with a Salifert kit at 1480-1500.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by the LFS yesterday and my freshly mixed IO tested with a Salifert kit at 1480-1500.

Might be higher than 35 ppt salinity, or an inhomogeneous batch.

OP
OP
Willy315

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be higher than 35 ppt salinity, or an inhomogeneous batch.
I'm not sure, it's just odd that 2 buckets measured high in Mag.

Hanna.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, it's just odd that 2 buckets measured high in Mag.

Hanna.jpg

I think it is more likely the magnesium measurement is off than the batch of salt is out of specification (unless you used just a portion of the container), but either is possible,. :)

Back