Instant Ocean Sea Salt with ammonia in it

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally had zero ammonia zero nitrites and 80 nitrates and PH 8.0. So I thought ok water change then I should be able to add fish. Well I retested 24 hours to make sure I change enough water to drop my nitrates properly. When I did my nitrites are now 1.0 and nitrates are 40. I was confused how was it possible. So I thought somehow ammonia had to make it into my tank to cause nitrites to go back up. So now I'm checking my tap water and it's all zero. I run my tap through an RODI buddy but thought with this weather and a main break it's possible but nothing was there. So I made a gallon of Salt water with my RODI buddy and my normal salt and there's ammonia present. How is this possible? Surely there shouldn't be ammonia in brand new saltwater.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its normal for there to be small amounts of ammonia in some salt mixes. It comes in with magnesium chloride. What was the measurement?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the DI filter with your ro . My DI filter is only good for 100 gallons then I start reading TDS.i have city water with chlorine in it tds of 380. The ro buddy charcoal filter anb sediment filter are good for 400 gallons.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back