Intereating tank idea

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I've had this ideaever since I went to aruba.
I wad thinking about a tank that is connected directly to the ocean.
As in the ocean is the filter.

I was mainly thinking that the tank would have pipes running from the ocean to the tank and the back. Both with pumps.
There would most likely haft to be filters on both sides. On the way there probobly a uv filter, filter floss, sponge, carbon(maybe).
(Gotta clear up the water and make it decent.)
then on the way back out to the ocean you would probobly haft to have a bit heavier of filtering then actually coming in. Mainly to prevent spores and invasive stuff from getting out.

It seems like something kind of cool and almost like a low maintenance tank. (Could even have it naturally lit)
You would still haft to maintain all the filter stuff often.(obviously)

But another thing is what if I did something like this?
I live on a canal. I do some really heavy filtering to rid the water of major pollution. (Plenty of fish live in the canal and surrounding water.)

Maybe it's a dumb Idea maybe not. I know alot of public aquariums do it.
My nearest Publix aqurium the corpus Christi aquroum draws the water right from the bay. I'm not far from that same bay. So I really don't see why not.
Also it draws from literally a ship channel/cargo port/lexington/ fishing spot. Wich is way more that what I have going by. The occasional barge and some fishing boats.

But tell me what you guys think.

(Also please don't mind the bad spelling and Grammer)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please put the effluent in the sewer for treatment to prevent creating a potential problem for the wildlife. Get a giant water container and filter water into the container. Then do continuous water changes and refill the giant container on high tide.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please put the effluent in the sewer for treatment to prevent creating a potential problem for the wildlife. Get a giant water container and filter water into the container. Then do continuous water changes and refill the giant container on high tide.
I guess that's easier! My main concern would've definately been dumping it back but puting it I'm the sewer would probobly work better.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gunna add another question to this.
What if I took water from our canal and just used it for water changes?
Yes I would haft to filter it and yes I would haft to filter it some but it might be a bit better than going and mixing salt and making rodi water and all that.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People do that but not directly from canals. Here in CA there is a research center with a pipe open to the public that pumps nsw from off the shore.

DO NOT use nsw from the shore or a canal near human inhabitants. It will be quite polluted. Only use if you trust it to be pumped from a clean offshore site. Even with filtration, it might be problematic. Sure fish live there but fish in nature can live anywhere and they have the option to seek cleaner waters in the oceans.

fish in your tank will not.

also plenty of research facilities and aquariums pump now from the ocean so the idea is not new at all

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back