OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am sure this isn't the simplest question out there, but is there anyway post a general list of supplies one would need to start out with?

If you want to build a sump or something non critical:
1. quality try square or woodworking square $10
2. table saw with laminate blade $50 for blade
3. razor blade
4. pair of spring clamps $5 these are not bar clamps...they look like pliers
5. denatured alcohol $8
6. can of air $4
7. box of pins
8. can of weld on 40 and applicator $15
9. ability to say huh..well that is good enough

If you want to build a display tank...
1. Router mounted in a table
2. two blade flush trim bit or spiral cut flush trim bit $45
3. fine wire .. like 24 gauge $8
4. A really flat surface
5. 30-40' feet of 1.5" wide foam tape $15
6. a really straight piece of aluminum or plastic (to act as a router fence)
7. couple c clamps or bar clamps $20
8. random orbital sander at 600,800,1200,2000, paper $20
9. number 3 and 2 acrylic polish
10. confidence in your ability or nerves of steel :)

As you can see, there is nothing ridiculously expensive. The clamps and what not you can get at harbor freight. The only NICE tool you need is the router bit. You can make your own jigs and what not with MDF and a table saw. I think the biggest mistake I see is people cutting sheet goods or pieces without tuning their saw first to make sure the blade is dead square and parallel to the fence. Acrylic is pretty forgiving if you take your time.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating about using 2 part as I am working with 1" acrylic. That said, did you finish your edges with a router and blow the joint clean before applying solvent?

I got some home made high quality solvent from James at Envision Acrylic. He told me he never uses weldon and that this stuff will flow better.
What i did was make a sump first using 2 part for practice. After figuring out how to apply it, how it flowed, if I needed to thin it and how much was needed for a foot of seam. Syringe with a large metal tip worked best for me. Since my garage shop could not handle the 1" for my tank, I had the acrylic supplier (Regal Plastics) cut and route the pieces on their cnc machine. When using 2 part you dont want surfaces to be to smooth. I used 400 wet/dry on all edges to be bonded. When done I did route off the fillet edges just as I would a pinned tank. You need fillets as the 2 part solvent will shrink a bit when drying. You also need to back the joint with something like painter tape so the 2 part will not flow out of the joint.
For more info read this page of my build thread
Any questions just ask

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will take a look. I did send my acrylic connect an email and he said that bonding with solvent would be stronger. I hear you about the bubbles though.. once they are in there... you are hosed.

I think a big issue is having a lip on the outside of your joints so you have a place for "metled" acrylic to form. I have glued things when they were edge to edge and when the solvent evaporates, air gets sucked into the joint. I have used clamps to "squueze" out bubbles near the edge, but this is a risky endeavor.

ToesInTheSand

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i did was make a sump first using 2 part for practice. After figuring out how to apply it, how it flowed, if I needed to thin it and how much was needed for a foot of seam. Syringe with a large metal tip worked best for me. Since my garage shop could not handle the 1" for my tank, I had the acrylic supplier (Regal Plastics) cut and route the pieces on their cnc machine. When using 2 part you dont want surfaces to be to smooth. I used 400 wet/dry on all edges to be bonded. When done I did route off the fillet edges just as I would a pinned tank. You need fillets as the 2 part solvent will shrink a bit when drying. You also need to back the joint with something like painter tape so the 2 part will not flow out of the joint.
For more info read this page of my build thread
Any questions just ask
Went through your build very impressive, great work! A quick question on when you had done the joints. Did you use pins and if so how did you let the joint settle/come together with that much clamping/bracing you used?

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this would be awesome....

so many DIYers on this website - and then learning about how to build something with acrylic will be even better.

please do make an instructional video - i am sure a bucnh of folks would be interested and thankful

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through your build very impressive, great work! A quick question on when you had done the joints. Did you use pins and if so how did you let the joint settle/come together with that much clamping/bracing you used?
2 part, #40 requires a 1 mm space between pieces for the solvent/glue to flow into the joint.
I used chips of hard cured #40 . I poured a thin line and cut pieces off. Small pieces will become invisible. I place 1 about every 16".
To support a panel while placing the spacers, I used a 2mm thick strips of teflon cut off a sheet. The weight compressed the teflon just enough to to make a 1mm space. Inserted the spacers and then pulled out the teflon strips.
Taped the back side of the joint so the #40 would not flow out. I found you dont want to press the tape flat. You need some air space on the fillet or the #40 wont come out he back side on the fillet. If there is no extra flow, when it shrinks (when drying ) you will get air bubbles sucked into the joint. That will not be good as you want a clean looking 90 degree joint when you route and polish.
The spacers had to be checked to be sure they did not fall out when I jacked the panels up to create the "V" so the liquid would flow into the joint.
To keep the fillet on the back side, (these panels want to slide even when clamped), I taped 2 razor blades together and taped them to the panel where it would rest against the jig maybe every 16".

B2L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people. I have built about 10 tanks and sumps and have actually gotten pretty dang good at it. It is really easy if you know some of the tricks and which things you need to pay special attention to.

I am building a 1" thick 4x8 in the next week or so.

With a small amount of tools and some patience you can save a LOT of money on tanks and sumps and also make all kinds of shelves and stands and whatever with acrylic.

It costa me $250 to make a show grade 120 gallkon aquarium. Showdow box overflow? $50.

Anyways, just wanted to gauge interest. I have a job and family and cant promise pro level youtube quality, but i will show you what you need to know.

Cheers

This is my first time on reef2reef, I got here searching for information on building a DIY acrylic tank and would love to see your video series on tank building. I‘ve kept a reef before (quite awhile ago, diy wet/dry filter with DLS and as many VHO bulbs as I could cram above the tank which was pretty state of the art at the time if that gives you an idea of time frame :D ) but am looking to build a large tank for a Frontosa colony now. Appreciate your willingness to document the process!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time on reef2reef, I got here searching for information on building a DIY acrylic tank and would love to see your video series on tank building. I‘ve kept a reef before (quite awhile ago, diy wet/dry filter with DLS and as many VHO bulbs as I could cram above the tank which was pretty state of the art at the time if that gives you an idea of time frame :D ) but am looking to build a large tank for a Frontosa colony now. Appreciate your willingness to document the process!

Here is a video on how to weld. Notice the flow is ahead of the the needle.

Marc has other info
Then there is the big thread

Last edited:

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for offering your expertise. I would appreciate your instruction.

B2L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

B2L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat video... but that is NOT how i would weld an aquarium.

What do you do differently? Are you saying that the technique for a small piece like that is different or that you don’t agree with that technique at all? I appreciate your input!

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, i didnt see that he was actually using pins, I think my brain might have turned off when he used the term "glue".

Videos like this are fine for making little shelves, stands, and trinkets but if you ever just scaled up from here to make a tank most people would run into problems.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back