Interested In 2022 Saltwater Aquarium Statistics

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in finding out the latest 2022 following statistics:

1) How many Saltwater Aquariums in the United States?
2) How many Freshwater Aquariums in the United States?
3) How many Saltwater Aquariums worldwide?
4) How many Freshwater Aquariums worldwide?

Thank you!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11.8 million households in the US keep freshwater fish, and 2.9 million keep saltwater. In other words, we have a lot of work to do converting all the freshwater keepers. However, you find very few reefers who don't know much about what they're doing, while too many freshwater keepers haven't a clue as to real aquarium care. That isn't to say that freshwater hobbyists aren't a respectable and important part of the hobby, but there are also many people with three goldfish and an angelfish in a bowl. I would say that the amount of serious freshwater keepers and serious reef keepers is about the same. I'd estimate that about 2.5 million serious aquarists can be found in each hobby (and maybe 10 people doing brackish).

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11.8 million households in the US keep freshwater fish, and 2.9 million keep saltwater. In other words, we have a lot of work to do converting all the freshwater keepers. However, you find very few reefers who don't know much about what they're doing, while too many freshwater keepers haven't a clue as to real aquarium care. That isn't to say that freshwater hobbyists aren't a respectable and important part of the hobby, but there are also many people with three goldfish and an angelfish in a bowl. I would say that the amount of serious freshwater keepers and serious reef keepers is about the same. I'd estimate that about 2.5 million serious aquarists can be found in each hobby (and maybe 10 people doing brackish).
Are your statistics from 2022 and curious about the source?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The National Pet Owners Survey 2021-2022 is where I got that. So yeah, the statistics seem reliable and it is up to date. My estimates for how many are serious are just guesses, though

Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back