Framing a slice of the reef: Does the shape of the aquarium matter?

Does the shape of the aquarium matter?

• The shape of the aquarium makes a significant impact.

Votes: 232 59.5%
  • The shape of the aquarium makes some impact.

Votes: 115 29.5%
  • The shape of the aquarium makes minimal impact.

Votes: 24 6.2%
  • The shape of the aquarium makes no impact.

Votes: 15 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Framing a slice of the reef: Does the shape of the aquarium matter?

Tall ones, short ones, round ones, square ones, wide ones, skinny ones, and so many more sizes of tanks. Whether you want a cube, peninsula, rectangle, round, half round, quarter round, drop off, or something else, there are plenty of options to choose from when selecting an aquarium. At a basic level, as reef keepers we keep our coral and fish in a see-through container of saltwater. Does the shape of the aquarium matter? Of course, there are some differences in how it affects the visual presentation, water flow, and swimming space, but how significant is the shape? Let us know your thoughts!!!

MarounC_ROTM2.jpeg

Photo by @maroun.c; July 2022 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dimensions for me always highly considered and placement is very important

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Impacts lighting, flow, and even livestock choices.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Mostly for fish though. A cube aquarium looks great for coral, but they are not usually a good fit for certain bigger fish that like to swim a lot. It depends on tank volume too. The shape of the tank is my first consideration when buying one.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shape of the aquarium is very important. Ever try scaping a cube? Not the easiest but I love them. Round aquariums or cylinder tanks distort what you are seeing that can be advantageous or a huge disadvantage. Cubes also have a slight distortion over standard rectangle tanks I've noticed especially once you get into the larger sizes. Rectangle tanks are pretty much the easiest to scape and view through. Anything with rounded edges, a convex pane or multiple panes of glass across the viewing area are bad for viewing.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, with regards to smaller tanks. A 40 gallon cube is very different from a 40 gallon long in terms of stocking possibilities. The same fish that would look good in a long might be a bit crowded in a cube. In larger tanks, this probably doesn't matter so much, but I'd prefer a longer tank for anything under a hundred gallons or so.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like lagoon style dimensions and if I have to go custom for my next one I will. The “Berlin Wall” is kind of boring to me. Not that there aren’t some stunning tanks with that layout, I just feel a lagoon style gives more options to be creative with depth of field.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like rectangle tanks not a big fan of cubes but to each his own. And dare I say I’m not a fan of rimless tanks either :eek: hate seeing a water line. To me it’s like looking at a frameless painting.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the fish, the corals, or the scape?

Some fish don't care about tank shape (hopping/perching fish, hovering fish, hole-dwellers), some need a long tank with plenty of room to zip. Corals don't really care. The scape, of course, is shaped first and foremost by the tank shape itself.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into aquaria, a lot of tanks were only 12" wide which is really tricky to scape a tank that is that narrow. I like a tank that is at least 18" from the front glass to the back glass.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" or less in height and atleast 18" (preferably 24") front to back is necessary for me now.

Anything over 24 inches deep is too hard to work in from the top and I like having 24 inches in depth as larger fish and more active ones do better with that extra swimming space.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That glass (or acrylic) box is mission critical. The one thing you can't change. Think about it. Don't like your aquascape? Change it up! Don't think much of the cheapo light you bought? Upgrade it. Flow pump not doing the job? Get a new one...

Sick of the hassle of trying to reach the bottom of a tank that's deeper than your arm is long? Oh, well, can't really do anything about that now.

Just can't find a way to aquascape that 10" wide strip aquarium that you're happy with? Oh well. Live with it.

Really... REALLY want to add a tang, foxface, one of the larger angels... and that 30g tank just isn't going to hold them. You can always start a new tank, I guess.

People cheaping out on the glass box never made any sense to me. Get what you want, something you'll be happy with long term. Cost too much? Huh. Probably should be looking at a smaller tank then, cause that glass box is NOT going to be a big percentage of the overall cost of your aquarium.

Say you go custom, spend two grand on the glass for your new 200g tank. Contrast that with finding a used tank, something kinda close to what you were wanting, but not quite, for a quarter of the two grand. Great. Add rock and sand, lights, sump and associated gear, a decent skimmer, you want a controller? Now, a big frag order from WWC, a few trips to the LFS to fill that tank with fishes...

So, you could have had what you wanted for, say 10k? You spent 8.5, and DIDN'T get what you wanted. Are you really going to be happy about that, long term?

Too bad, you're stuck with it.

matskibanov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the shape and the dimensions of the tank, as well as the shape of the rock work, go hand in hand. I mean it determines the many different factors required to enclose thriving inhabitants. As for me, function and compatibility come first, followed by aesthetics.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the shape may or may not have much impact on the animals kept. It can have a significant visual impact when someone enters a room however. Individuals who may not be interested in the animals kept may appreciate the aesthetics of a custom aquarium over a standard tank as the focal point of a room.

Recurve 06 20220131_150043.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back