Interesting article about lights

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this articles?

And about the comparaison of aquaray vs ecothech, is this still accurate?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t pay much attention toward persuasive style sales ads disguised as articles which is what the TMC thing is. They’ve been doing that for years. But I’m following anyway to see what others have to say.

my retort to the “ecotech wastes wattage In useless green and yellow wavelengths” argument is this: A tank consisting of ONLY 450nm, 480nm and 660nm wavelengths to excite chlorophyll A only would be pretty unpleasant to look at and completely leaves a lot of the accessory pigment production out which is what really develops the best colors. Only obsessing over chlorophyll A doesn’t make the light some kind of world beater. Green and yellow light make the tank look brighter, fish colors more vibrant, and the overall aeasthetic more pleasing if used to taste. Claiming it makes the light inefficient and wasting electricity and wattage is weak. A light should not only
Be functional but also make the tank LOOK pleasing as well

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the first article:

I'd say 98% of the article is good data, although at this point, after so many years of development of aquarium led fixtures, the differences he is describing are like the differences between a Ford and a Chevy. Yes they are different, but who cares? There are some very cheap leds out there that aren't quite as good and some that are a bit better, but most, if powerful enough for the depth of your tank, will grow most corals OK and keep them healthy.

The strength of the article to me, is the fact that he explains what all of the acronyms mean and how things like spectrum, power and depth are all inter-related. This would be an excellent read for people trying to lean about aquarium lighting and all it's technicalities. A shorter and less technical article would be good for newbie reefers.

There is a LOT of good data there. There are also a few points I'd say are a bit misleading, like calling a Ocean Revive fixture an EverGrow fixture. Yes, EverGrow makes it, but it is their very low end unit. And they didn't design it. They bought the company after the owner was trying to get out from under it. I know because I worked for the original owner for 2 years before he sold controlling interest to EverGrow. I would much rather they had just called it an Ocean Revive fixture. EverGrow makes far better fixtures sold worldwide as EverGrow and in the US as Reef Breeder Photon. So just a bit unfair to EverGrow IMHO. And even the Ocean Revive led fixture will grow coral and keep it healthy.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this articles?

And about the comparaison of aquaray vs ecothech, is this still accurate?
I looked the first article over - I'd be careful with reading too much into the reports of PAR (PPFD) measurements - the protocol isn't described (which PAR meter, position of sensor, cosine-correction, etc.) One graph lists absorption of chlorophylls a and b. Corals contain a and c2 (a minor difference, but a difference just the same) while ignoring properties of the important accessory pigment peridinin. The Acropora saturation point graph is from an article I wrote. That info is accurate, but it doesn't take much to give credit to the original source. Perhaps the authors found that graph on a secondary website where no credit was given, but it makes me wonder how well that first article was researched.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a break.
3FF15301-E324-4CF7-AA47-8D54ACBF0380.jpeg

TMC goes to great lengths to write painfully long pseudo advertisement “articles” which can be summed up as “our lights use less energy because we don’t concern ourself with the visually aesthetic part of lighting, buy from us” but cloaked in the form of what might appear like a real document to the layman

1E14DFDE-D1E0-416E-8FD1-FF378B1F7368.jpeg

I’d be surprised if most reefers out there even know who BML is. They stopped making aquarium lights ages ago.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a break.
3FF15301-E324-4CF7-AA47-8D54ACBF0380.jpeg

TMC goes to great lengths to write painfully long pseudo advertisement “articles” which can be summed up as “our lights use less energy because we don’t concern ourself with the visually aesthetic part of lighting, buy from us” but cloaked in the form of what might appear like a real document to the layman

1E14DFDE-D1E0-416E-8FD1-FF378B1F7368.jpeg

I’d be surprised if most reefers out there even know who BML is. They stopped making aquarium lights ages ago.
As for the 'Radion MH' reference, reminds me of discussions years ago where actinic fluorescent lamps were called 'special blue ones.' As for BML (BuildMyLED), I'm still in touch with Nick Klase. BLM became Fluence Bioengineering years ago and then sold to Osram several years ago (if memory serves.)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the 'Radion MH' reference, reminds me of discussions years ago where actinic fluorescent lamps were called 'special blue ones.' As for BML (BuildMyLED), I'm still in touch with Nick Klase. BLM became Fluence Bioengineering years ago and then sold to Osram several years ago (if memory serves.)

I have understood the same BML->Osram series of events as well. Hate to have come off as abrasive. I just don’t care for the TMC advertisement style. They seem to speak
MORE to their competitors “shortcomings” than their own merits

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have understood the same BML->Osram series of events as well. Hate to have come off as abrasive. I just don’t care for the TMC advertisement style. They seem to speak
MORE to their competitors “shortcomings” than their own merits
After years of flame wars on the 'net, I should be immune to being shorted on credit for research I've done, such as that in the referenced articles,. Silly me.

U

User1

View Badges
After years of flame wars on the 'net, I should be immune to being shorted on credit for research I've done, such as that in the referenced articles,. Silly me.

Credit should be given and it is irresponsible when people on social media don't do it. It is actually a big issue with this generation sadly.

I was hoping the Fluence / osram lights expanded to reefing and not just agriculture stuff. They had a really nice design I thought with the vypr light.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping the Fluence / osram lights expanded to reefing and not just agriculture stuff. They had a really nice design I thought with the vypr light.
They are currently dominating the cannabis lighting world at the moment. I don’t see them taking a step back to focus on the tiny market that is reef tanks.
look at how RAPID LED went over the years....

U

User1

View Badges
They are currently dominating the cannabis lighting world at the moment. I don’t see them taking a step back to focus on the tiny market that is reef tanks.

Without a doubt. You are very correct.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Nick a couple of weeks ago. Although he sold his interest in Fluence to Osram, he's still a consultant. There are no plans to re-enter the aquarium market.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back