Interesting - Dosing Ammonium Nitrite to speed up growth by 20%

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was browsing youtube and stumbled upon this channel that posted old videos on Clam Farming from 1989. It looks like this farm used/uses fertilizer Ammonium Nitrite to speed up the growth of their clams by 20% to get them faster to the market.
It is a similar concept to our Nitrate dosing. However, what I find even more fascinating, is that nitrate dosing became more mainstream in home reefing only a few years ago, after a lot of us were all too successful with carbon dosing. I remember when I started, I was told by every LFS that 20ppm nitrates that my tank had were excessive, and I would need to dose vinegar/vodka; I killed quite a few corals by dropping my nitrates and phosphates to 0. I remember reading many posts of people losing corals once they stripped their water of no3 and po4. While this information was available the same year I was born, it took us nearly 30 years to catch up. I just thought you guys might be interested.

7-minute mark is where they talk about speeding up growth.

PS. - Another interesting concept I thought people are still overlooking is Ph. Specifically, often people say, "don't chase the Ph" finally, BRS put out a fantastic video regarding the importance of chasing the Ph in the reef tanks. A very long video but a great watch.

Happy New Year, Everyone. =)

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, and since it’s a clam forum, here are some pictures of mine.
A205304A-EC6B-4C4D-BC5C-089DFDA0B852.jpeg

381D66FF-CE06-4325-90A5-B32DD3877F9C.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Ammonia is the first source of nitrogen for clams and corals, but no one really doses it. When I worked at a coral farm in the 90’s, it was known that the male workers didn’t have to go outside or to the restroom to relieve ourselves.
But you didn’t hear it from me. ;)
Nick, we’ll have to catch up soon. How’s the tank doing?

OP
OP
Macdaddynick1

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Ammonia is the first source of nitrogen for clams and corals, but no one really doses it. When I worked at a coral farm in the 90’s, it was known that the male workers didn’t have to go outside or to the restroom to relieve ourselves.
But you didn’t hear it from me. ;)
Nick, we’ll have to catch up soon. How’s the tank doing?
I wonder if there is any benefit to dosing ammonia vs nitrate. That’s a neat trick, now I know how all these guy grow massive colonies hahaha. Jk. All is well with the tanks. Frag tank is doing great, but Dt could be better, but I’m working on it.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was browsing youtube and stumbled upon this channel that posted old videos on Clam Farming from 1989. It looks like this farm used/uses fertilizer Ammonium Nitrite to speed up the growth of their clams by 20% to get them faster to the market.
It is a similar concept to our Nitrate dosing. However, what I find even more fascinating, is that nitrate dosing became more mainstream in home reefing only a few years ago, after a lot of us were all too successful with carbon dosing. I remember when I started, I was told by every LFS that 20ppm nitrates that my tank had were excessive, and I would need to dose vinegar/vodka; I killed quite a few corals by dropping my nitrates and phosphates to 0. I remember reading many posts of people losing corals once they stripped their water of no3 and po4. While this information was available the same year I was born, it took us nearly 30 years to catch up. I just thought you guys might be interested.

7-minute mark is where they talk about speeding up growth.

PS. - Another interesting concept I thought people are still overlooking is Ph. Specifically, often people say, "don't chase the Ph" finally, BRS put out a fantastic video regarding the importance of chasing the Ph in the reef tanks. A very long video but a great watch.

Happy New Year, Everyone. =)

I've been dosing Seachem Marine buffer to get my KH to 10. PH 8.3.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back