Interesting tidbit about fish and research

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just learned from my wife's neuro oncologist that they are using the freshwater zebrafish to study the effects on certain anti-viral drugs on brain tumors. Apparently the transparency of their bodies and the similarity to human physiology makes them a good candidate for studying growth rates of tumors without having to surgically examine the tumors or kill the subject. I thought it was interesting...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danios have similar human physiology?

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clever to use the clear body fish to view the tumor. If I remember correctly the Zebra Danios is a tiny fish, I would think their size would make it difficult for this purpose. Is the Zebra Danio the fish you are referring too?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just learned from my wife's neuro oncologist that they are using the freshwater zebrafish to study the effects on certain anti-viral drugs on brain tumors. Apparently the transparency of their bodies and the similarity to human physiology makes them a good candidate for studying growth rates of tumors without having to surgically examine the tumors or kill the subject. I thought it was interesting...

Most important part to this would lead to a question, how's Barbara doing?

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently danios' physiology is similar enough to study brain tumors which came as a bit of a surprise to me. Also much less expensive subjects as well. Barbara is doing very well with no growth of the tumor in (going on) 3 years. Actually some slight shrinkage about a year after her 1 year round of chemotherapy.

Dave

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back