Internal Circulation for 8ft Tank

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's thoughts.... I am working on a 96 x 36 x 45 tall tank. Thinking opposing XF280 Gyres. Thoughts? Any better ideas? Of note is that the tank is 1" acrylic.

Thanks in advance....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" thick acrylic shortens the list of candidates significantly. I'm in the process of moving to a 96x36x30 and decided to go Vortech MP60 on either end and a pair of MP40 on the back (had the tank builder thin two spots so that they would stick). I also have a pair of WAV pumps that I can mount to the internal skim box if necessary. Oh, and I have a Vectra powered closed loop. Hopeful that will be sufficient. Have never used a gyre pump.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, it's acrylic, which calls for many drilled holes for a closed loop. No power heads in the tank and tons of flow generated by a large pump. DOOOOO IIIIT

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panta Rhei ecm 42 is really nice. Not sure about if magnets would work for 1 inch. They do have a ecm 63 too though

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" thick acrylic shortens the list of candidates significantly. I'm in the process of moving to a 96x36x30 and decided to go Vortech MP60 on either end and a pair of MP40 on the back (had the tank builder thin two spots so that they would stick). I also have a pair of WAV pumps that I can mount to the internal skim box if necessary. Oh, and I have a Vectra powered closed loop. Hopeful that will be sufficient. Have never used a gyre pump.

I have experience ce with Gyres and have always been pleased. Mine has worked without a hitch for 3 years now.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, it's acrylic, which calls for many drilled holes for a closed loop. No power heads in the tank and tons of flow generated by a large pump. DOOOOO IIIIT

I will be doing a closed loop, but the tank is a peninsula so I feel like my real estate for the closed loop returns and and drains are limited.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it's not going to hurt anything, but I don't see the point in "holing up" the tank if you are going to lay out cash on powerheads regardless.

I'd think about a pair of Tunze Stream 3's and a pair of 6105's.

Some or all could be hidden within Tunze rocks further forward in the tank rather than requiring them all to be stuck on the back wall.

Of course they have other combinations of pumps that could work as well...even in combination with the gyres.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second closed loop With no power heads in the water at all.

Use a pump similar to a vectra (the l1 has a lot of problems it seems when ran externally of the sump) so u have flow like a power head add in a motions ocean and u will have the most random flow in the world or u could do a high pressure pump with a penductor and move tons of water

At most you would have 4-5 2 inch holes if not less in diameter if u run two closed loops 2 inlet two outlet if u run one closed loop with a oceans motion that’s one inlet three outlet and depending on the pump u use the holes should be no bigger the 2 inches along with the proper rockscape u won’t even know the holes are in there

Mp60 is mad expensive u could get two return pumps for the price of one plus running a closed loop whatever the gph is is what u will be getting out of that pump as there is no head loss.

If it was me and I had a peninsula style tank I would go closed loop without a doubt esp since your tank is an inch thick. Two closed loops to be exact run with either a DC type pump or two of those Dart/Snapper pumps have one of the closed loops with motions ocean with three outlets and the other with two penductor as returns so a total of two inlets and five outlets. Then I would put two penductors on my return pump from the sump and call it a day.
Nothing on the sides of the peninsula to take away from your view or chords running over the top and into a fake rock

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your input. I appreciate the idea of hiding the tunzes in the rocks. The closes loop approach appeals from an aesthetic point but have to plan out what real estate is possible so the plumbing wouldn't be on plain view.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 84" x 24" x 16" peninsula tank. I have 2 gyre 250, but only run one at a time. I am keeping sps in this tank. I will probably add something later as coral grow, but my return is is jebao 12000 on speed 2 which is a good amount of flow also.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panta Rhei ecm 42 is really nice. Not sure about if magnets would work for 1 inch. They do have a ecm 63 too though

Those are serious powerheads. Make Vortech look like bargain basement gear though.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Those are awesome! Rolls Royce of powerheads!

It's hard to be certain from photos, but it kinda reminds me of the smaller Sicce Voyagers in design....though the little Voyagers are impeller pumps.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Those are awesome! Rolls Royce of powerheads!

I know that as the hydro wizard - apparently the same thing. Saw the big one demoed a few years ago. They're not physically small, but boy do they move water. Out of my price range though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I called Unique corals and talked to them about the Panta Rhei. I can make the Hydrowizard 42 work if I mount it on my overflow. Have you seen one of these work? Could I possible get away with one or would it take multiple? The 63 is out of my price range.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6105 in my 240. It moves a lot of water but no single pump creates the water pattern of a gyre. When I run the icecap 3k it creates a large flow pattern. It's great for eliminating dead spots. I run them both, the 6105 at 50%, and the icecap at 30% because I have a lazy puffer that likes to hang out in the rocks without getting blown around

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back