Internal overflow plumbing suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikeeal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mikeeal

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2022
Messages
31
Reaction score
14
Location
Dayton
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to get suggestions on how to plumb this. Bought this tank second hand and the plumbing was already gone. I've done durso style in the past, but this one doesn't have the room for an elbow inside the box. There's two existing holes, separated by a weir that's open at the bottom. Not sure how to approach this one:
1000002788.jpg
1000002789.jpg
 
This is a very interesting overflow box layout!

I really like the integrated cable/plumbing pass-through hole in the tank! I had a 125g acrylic corner pentagon with a nearly identical pass-through years ago…

— because the odd weir/baffle in the overflow box is open at the bottom, you can treat it like one large water container from a fluid dynamics standpoint! (It just means the bottom of the overflow box won’t ever have stagnant water in it!)

— if this was my tank, I’d pursuit a dual drain “Herbie” plumbing configuration! That is, you’d use the two existing bulkhead holes as drains; one primary drain with in-line gate valve, one completely open emergency drain! (The return plumbing is snuck up through the in-tank pass-through and over the tank rim)

— this plumbing configuration allows you to precisely restrict the primary drain via gate valve until it creates a controlled full siphon, making the tank run near-silently! (If the primary drain ever clogs, the emergency drain takes over/is noisy so you know there’s an issue!)
 
I can dig it, I appreciate the response. It's definitely an older tank, manufactured by TruVu. I agree with you on the dry box, I'm gonna appreciate being able to butt it right up against the wall 🤟😎
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new