Internal Issues

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but seeing it’s along the same lines I wanted to ask @Humblefish and/or @melypr1985 for his/her experience and advice.

Despite my best quarantine efforts and prophylactic treatments, I am fairly certain flukes made its way into my tank. All the classic signs and no definitive signs of the other “big two.” I decided to treat the whole tank as I don’t have any sensitive corals or inverts or large enough QT to house all of my fish at the moment.

I just completed one round of prazi (ran carbon day 6, small wc and skimmed out the rest till day 7.)

I just dosed my second treatment this morning and will repeat the same as last time. My question is in your experience, how challenging can it be to “knock out” flukes?

Immediately upon this second dose I saw a ton of white floating bits, some larger than others, can’t be sure they’re flukes or some other type of worm but it sure looks like it. I’m a bit concerned if these were in fact flukes, apparently a lot were missed in the initial dosing period, hatched eggs or otherwise.

Based on the fact that it appears my corals can handle the prazi, what would be your advice from here? Should I do this a third or fourth time? Shorten the span between this dose? I know the life cycle is somewhere around 4-6 days so I’m trying to knock them out for good.

Also, is it fair to assume that if flukes are in the tank and some may be attached to fish, you should see exaggerated symptoms upon dosing (I.e flashing, twitching etc) as the flukes spasm and leave the fish? Just curious as I see that initially upon dosing and would like to know if it’s a good indication. Thanks for all your guidance, it has helped tremendously.

Thanks,
Dan

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DanielJameS In most cases, two rounds of Prazipro (spaced a week apart) will knock flukes out. However, there are some rare instances of encountering prazi resistant flukes. For these, hyposalinity or formalin baths become your best alternatives. Unfortunately, neither is reef safe. :(

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish in QT. At first they were both eating great but after about 5 days in QT the female stopped eating. Today I noticed pure white string of poop from the female. I immediately got some API General Cure on order, will be here today. Since she has stopped eating I think the only way to get the medication to here is by adding it to the tank water. I will start a carbon filter immediately since they are currently being treated with Cupramine as a prophalatic measure, no signs of ick.

I read above that this is kind of a hail mary was to treat the fish, adding it to the water?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read above that this is kind of a hail mary was to treat the fish, adding it to the water?

It is... You just have to hope that the fish absorbs/drinks enough of the medicated water to have an impact. Below is a video showing how to tube feed a fish:

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go get a few other food options just in case they are not wanting the mysis. Maybe they will eat something else and i gan get the medicine in them that way.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up some pellet food along with some Focus, Keneplex(sp?) and Metroplex from the LFS. I tried the pellet food and the male ate some of it but the female would put it in her mouth and then spit it out.

So, I mixed up a batch of the pellet, focus and metroplex for the male. I also dosed the water to try to get some into both. I willmfeed the combined pellet food tonight and watch.

If I also get the API general cure can I add that with the metroplex or would that be to much?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it the second container was fresh water to kind of sedate the fish?

The first container is water taken from the tank from which the fish came; the second container is also tank water but with a sedative (MS-222) added.

If I also get the API general cure can I add that with the metroplex or would that be to much?

General Cure contains praziquantel + metronidazole, so you wouldn't want to dose that in conjunction with Metroplex. But you could dose it in place of Metroplex if you wanted to add prazi to the mix.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the general cure and they appear to be handlong this medicine much better. I put up a new 10 gallon and transfered them to that one since they were not doing well with the 20 gallon setup. I wanted to have a verified fresh start with no questionable hardware or lingering medicine issues.

They are active and swiming well but still refuse to eat anything presented to them. Mysis, Brine, Pellet, Flake, nothing at all. They are interested, food goes in and they alertly go to it but refuse to eat it.

So while I think they will do well in the medicine bath I am concerned about thier unwillingness to eat. They are not gaunt or showing extternal signs of malnutrition but this cannt continue for ever.

How many days or when should the concern over not eating suplant the continuation of medicine? I am continuing to look for stringy white poop... Lol

20171121_171401.jpg

Last edited:

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the general cure and they appear to be handlong this medicine much better. I put up a new 10 gallon and transfered them to that one since they were not doing well with the 20 gallon setup. I wanted to have a verified fresh start with no questionable hardware or lingering medicine issues.

They are active and swiming well but still refuse to eat anything presented to them. Mysis, Brine, Pellet, Flake, nothing at all. They are interested, food goes in and they alertly go to it but refuse to eat it.

So while I think they will do well in the medicine bath I am concerned about thier unwillingness to eat. They are not gaunt or showing extternal signs of malnutrition but this cannt continue for ever.

How many days or when should the concern over not eating suplant the continuation of medicine? I am continuing to look for stringy white poop... Lol

20171121_171401.jpg

How did you end up fairing with this? I know it’s been a couple weeks. I’m wondering if you’ve considered trying Easy Reefs Masstick? BRS sells the smallest pouch for pretty cheap shipped free. I always have a pack as a go-to when quarantining. I’ve found it very useful as you can mix in meds, displace a tad of the recommended water mix with garlic additives, vitachem, selcon etc. it also sticks to the glass and stays there for some time allowing the fish to pick at it on their terms while not wasting away on the bottom of your tank. You can really whip up a good enticing QT food if you’re careful not to over saturate it. ALL my fish (clowns, tangs, gobies, dottyback, blenny’s, Angels) have responded well to it. The only thing i have that didn’t eat it was my mandarin (naturally) and chromis. IME I’ve had fish in QT not eat for some reason when you’re in front of the tank, particularly if they’re fairly new. I guess I’d liken it to being in the hospital, sterile plain surroundings, medical equipment everywhere you look, nurse comes in to take your vitals 3 times a day, then they drop off that awful food, would you feel like eating while they stand there staring at you? [emoji23]. I had a flame angel in QT not eat for what felt like weeks (7 months later in my DT he’s a pig.) If you haven’t yet, give it a try. You can even split a bag in half, make half a medicated batch and half standard and try both. Best of luck.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They made it through the treatment fine and were added to my DT. It took a few days before the female really got her full appetite back but she did. She eats with ghusto for sure.

I will give the food you mention a look. So far the clowns were the only ones with observable issues. I am currently in the watch and treat camp as each time i tried to just treat prophilacticaly(sp?) It went sideways in a hurry. Although GC appeard to be accepted better by the fish.

My QT tank has a security camera pointed at it so I can observe without being in front of it, this is proving very usefull for the foxface that is in there now as he is very skittish and goes full camo anytime i am in front of the tank. However, when no one is there he swims around, picks at the nori and is yellow as can be. I step into view and POOF, brown and white with spikes up. What a character.... But, eats great, likes nori, mysis and some pellet foods so I have high hopes for him.

It is definately more work to QT but I do feel it is worth it in the end.

75galOCD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I bought a couple of damsels as my first fish and one of them had some white stringy poop but I haven't seen it again. If a fish has the parasites will it have the symptom continuously, am I just missing it or could have I imaged it? I haven't seen a single movement since. Its been a week I don't want to medicate it if they are OK.
Also I'm interested in using garlic as a health benefit but I have no idea how to go about it?
Thank you!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I bought a couple of damsels as my first fish and one of them had some white stringy poop but I haven't seen it again. If a fish has the parasites will it have the symptom continuously, am I just missing it or could have I imaged it? I haven't seen a single movement since. Its been a week I don't want to medicate it if they are OK.
Also I'm interested in using garlic as a health benefit but I have no idea how to go about it?
Thank you!

If he has internal parasites, you should continue to see white stringy poop.

Garlic is useful to stimulate appetite and has some health benefits, but it's not going to eliminate parasites or cure any disease.

75galOCD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a search about the garlic and I think there are better choices for supporting fish health! Thank you!

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys -- I've just been made aware that my Starry Blenny may not just be a big pooper, but actually may have a parasite. He's been pooping stringy for a few weeks now and has developed (i think, or maybe i just noticed it) a dark spot on the back end of his body, near the tail fin. Below pic shows where the spot is but under better light it's more obvious.

I don't think the poop is white, however. I think it's more tan/light brown. If it is a parasite, do i need to remove him from the tank to treat?

Blenny Blanco from the Bronx pictured below.

BBBx.jpg

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am treating my clowns and a benghai cardinal with Praz (in QT) and today I noticed a white stringy poop from one of the clowns. About a week ago, I did dose the food w/ metroplex and focus and did this for only 6 days. Can I dose the food again with metro while I am also dosing with praz? Or should I quit the praz and dose with metro from 10 days to 3 weeks? Then when the metro is done, can I dose the second round of praz? Or finish the second round of praz and dose with metro at the end? The clown w the intestinal worm seems healthy and is eating well. Other two show no symptoms....yet.

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am treating my clowns and a benghai cardinal with Praz (in QT) and today I noticed a white stringy poop from one of the clowns. About a week ago, I did dose the food w/ metroplex and focus and did this for only 6 days. Can I dose the food again with metro while I am also dosing with praz? Or should I quit the praz and dose with metro from 10 days to 3 weeks? Then when the metro is done, can I dose the second round of praz? Or finish the second round of praz and dose with metro at the end? The clown w the intestinal worm seems healthy and is eating well. Other two show no symptoms....yet.

Just to make sure I am diagnosing this right: the white stringy poop is about 1/4 long, stuck to the fishes anus, super thin (hard to see). I would take a pic, but you would not be able to see it. Also, can you dose metroplex in a DT?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back