Internal Issues

Stella1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Humblefish @Bob Loblaw & @rkpetersen (whose post I did read but forgot to thank him too. That was a very helpful post!) I really appreciate all of the info provided by you both and so many others on this thread. Meds are on the way.:) I'm just too worried about the shrimp though, so do think I will move him to the display before med laced food enters the quarantine tank. I really hate to break up the pair, but the display is only a 20g long, so chances are good that they'll find each other again.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro/Focus mysid killed one of my S. giganteas. Don't recommend its use in a DT if there are nems.
Gigs and other carpets seem to be more delicate overall than BTAs. Fortunately my haddoni didn't get any so I can't comment on how it might have reacted. But I will keep this in mind. :)

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed my fox face with white stringy poop this is the 2nd time I've seen it in the 2 months I've had the fish I qt'd with CP and GC for 4 weeks. However I did add a clownfish without QT. ;Nailbiting

Dumb I know.

I have api GC on hand so all I need to do is get some seachem focus and soak the nori /lrs in it and sprinkle some GC in correct?

How long do I continue the treatment?

20180708_124510.jpg

Thanks in advance

Chad

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat with medicated food at least 10 days. 14 would be even better. I have not used GC +focus but have used Metroplex +focus and my fish tolerated very well for 14 days. GC is metronidazole + praziquantel so should work! If your foxface eats pellets New Life makes pellets that contain metronidazole called Hex shield. 5 of my 7 fish will eat that but 2 don’t so I dose frozen red worms and mysis for them! Good Luck!

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat with medicated food at least 10 days. 14 would be even better. I have not used GC +focus but have used Metroplex +focus and my fish tolerated very well for 14 days. GC is metronidazole + praziquantel so should work! If your foxface eats pellets New Life makes pellets that contain metronidazole called Hex shield. 5 of my 7 fish will eat that but 2 don’t so I dose frozen red worms and mysis for them! Good Luck!

Thanks my fox will eat anything such a pig. I ordered some focus it'll be here Tuesday so I think I'm going to go with that route.

Going to cut back on the nori (she gets half a sheet a day) I'll feed both my frozen food and I have NLS pellets thera+

She poops a ton and I've only seen it stringy twice...so I'm thinking it's a pretty mild case.

ckcustomz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about mixing melafix in with general cure. I wouldn't mix those two together if you can help it. Metroplex, which is in General cure has antibiotic properties.
Is the general cure by api?

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my new P. lineopunctatus wrasse in today and he seems to be in much better shape than the last DD wrasse. I do see that he has white clumpy poop (not stringy). He actually tried to eat it and it seemed just like regular pooping that it broke up and he spit it out, but it was white. Is this a sign of parasites or something else?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my new P. lineopunctatus wrasse in today and he seems to be in much better shape than the last DD wrasse. I do see that he has white clumpy poop (not stringy). He actually tried to eat it and it seemed just like regular pooping that it broke up and he spit it out, but it was white. Is this a sign of parasites or something else?

I wouldn't take any chances as wrasses seem to often come in with internal parasites. Start feeding him metro + focus laced food.

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't take any chances as wrasses seem to often come in with internal parasites. Start feeding him metro + focus laced food.

Will do. Have you had any experience with Peabody’s medicated flakes? I ordered their flakes with metro.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Have you had any experience with Peabody’s medicated flakes? I ordered their flakes with metro.

No experience with Peabody’s. I've tried feeding NLS Hex Shield (metro soaked pellets) and the fish just don't seem to dig it.

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can’t get him to eat metro soaked food, what would a treatment regimen look like using metro+ or metroplex in QT tank?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can’t get him to eat metro soaked food, what would a treatment regimen look like using metro+ or metroplex in QT tank?

API General Cure contains both prazi + metro in one medication. That would treat both intestinal worms (prazi) + internal flagellates (metro), provided he drinks enough of the water and/or his body absorbs enough of the medication.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an angel that went through a QT treatment of Prazi, CP, and Metro soaked food w/ focus for 2-week and is now displaying signs of internal parasites 6-months later. The angel is with a tang in a grow out tank and I just noticed white stringy poop a few days ago. The fish hasn't displayed signs (that I've seen at least) during the previous 6-months. Is fenbendazole soaked food w/ focus the next step? Or should I start a new 3-week treatment using Metro again? I feel like the initial treatment was enough to knock down the parasites but may have hit a tipping point recently where I can see them again in the poop. So I'm leaning towards a more heavy-handed treatment if the parasite has developed any kind of immunity to Metro. Or would levamisole be the next step? If so, where is the best place to find it? I can get fenbendazole from Dr.Fosters Smith and Amazon, but levamisole doesn't seem to show up at any fish pharmacies or retailers.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be nice if this was completely reef safe. Sure would like to get a few of my fish for a longer period of time. The anemone story worries me.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before using fenbendazole, I would try food soaking prazi + metro (API General Cure contains both) first. Be sure to use Seachem Focus to bind the medications to food, and protect your corals/inverts.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to a 3-week treatment with GC and focus? I had stopped after 2 weeks previously since I hadn't seen any white poop anymore. Also, how long are the parasites alive once they've left the host and are in the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back