Introducing anemone & clown fish.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich outbreak and lost my cinnamon clown. I wasn't prepared. By the time I caught it and figured out what to do, it was too late for the clown. Now I'm going through the 76 day fallow period with my remaining fish in QT to make sure I get it right this time. I'm fairly new to this and have learned a few lessons the hard way. I thought I was doing really well with a 135g tank & healthy fish, but I introduced some LFS water to my DT with some copepods I bought. Lesson learned and trying to make sure I plan a little better in the future.

When the tank is all clear again and fish are ready to go home, I want to replace the clown, this time with an anemone. Is there already a thread here that outlines the best way to go about this? If so, someone could just point me in that direction.

Otherwise, Do I introduce them at the same time, or does one come before the other? What about the QT procedures for the anemone?

Thanks!

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no guarantee that the anemone will host the clownfish... that being said you can add the clowns or nem first
You will have a higher chance with natural host

Last edited:

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a "What's with what" thread that lists which anemones/clownfishes are a natural match - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-with-what.40954/

FWIW my clowns which I assume are just plain ocellaris started off in a corner of the tank. Then moved to a Duncan, and finally on to my anemone probably a couple months, maybe longer, after adding the anemone.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a "What's with what" thread that lists which anemones/clownfishes are a natural match - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-with-what.40954/

FWIW my clowns which I assume are just plain ocellaris started off in a corner of the tank. Then moved to a Duncan, and finally on to my anemone probably a couple months, maybe longer, after adding the anemone.
Obviously I’d love for it to host, but I understand they may not. Most important thing to me at the point is to learn how to not kill them.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I’d love for it to host, but I understand they may not. Most important thing to me at the point is to learn how to not kill them.
How to not kill the clowns or nem ?

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to not kill the clowns or nem ?
I think I’ve learned enough to have the fish part figured out. It’s mostly the Nem I’m concerned about now. Don’t want to keep learning everything the hard way.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with a Bubble Tip (BTA) they are hardier than most others and will host a clown or pair. Just make sure it is large enough. 2-3 times the size of the clowns. Most clowns will adopt a bta as friend. Mine all have eventually except my perc pair. They seem to prefer to live by the overflow pipe. Just make sure the nem is in a more mature tank and really healthy when you purchase.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve learned enough to have the fish part figured out. It’s mostly the Nem I’m concerned about now. Don’t want to keep learning everything the hard way.
Yeah it sucks learing the hard way..... as mentioned you should go with a bubble tip anemone because they are the easiest. Maroon clownfish natrual host are bubble tips too.
You would need a tank that’s 6 months or older and Good lighting.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Good lighting.
Been reading so much about this it can make your head spin. Being completely new to marine and large tanks when I started on this, I relied heavily on a very reputable LFS. So far, it seems like he really got me started on the right foot. The only thing I currently think I should have done differently is the lighting. I have two of these.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/pr...pectrum-led-46w-36-48-91-122-cm/#.W9s0Z1JReRs

The features are neat, bluetooth and auto sunset/sunrise, but I can already see that if I want to do much more than keep some basic fish, I may want to consider an upgrade.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading so much about this it can make your head spin. Being completely new to marine and large tanks when I started on this, I relied heavily on a very reputable LFS. So far, it seems like he really got me started on the right foot. The only thing I currently think I should have done differently is the lighting. I have two of these.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/pr...pectrum-led-46w-36-48-91-122-cm/#.W9s0Z1JReRs

The features are neat, bluetooth and auto sunset/sunrise, but I can already see that if I want to do much more than keep some basic fish, I may want to consider an upgrade.
I have no experience with that light so I can’t tell you not upgrade but if you do have to you could even get black boxes

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back