Introducing New Wrasse/Mitigating Bullying - Need Help!

MountainManReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a male Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse. He is a healthy/beautiful fish which should be a gentle addition to my 60g Innovative Marine SR60.

Thursday I acclimated him to my display tank, and placed him in a magnetic acclimation box. He immediately drew attention/aggression from my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, and my female Oscellaris clownfish. I did feed him within the box several times each day and he did eat frozen foods and some Reef Nutrition pods. Over the past few days I did not observe the other fish pay him much mind at all.

First thing this morning before the sun was up and while the room was still pitch dark I opened the lid to the acclimation box and let him swim out on his own when ready.

As I observed throughout the day, I noticed the Angel took a swipe or two at him, but eventually backed off and it seemed like the wrasse was swimming with a group of fish, including the
I observed further for a few hours and noticed the female clown was swimming out in the open water, away from the zone she typically hosts/guards.

I then went outside for about 45 minutes and when I returned the wrasse’s tail was in my overflow (a classic sign that you have a stressed/dying fish that may be experiencing swim bladder and other issues.)

So I have now returned him to the acclimation box. I am hoping he will pull through. He is swimming, with a small tear in his tail that has now appeared.

My bag of tricks is about exhausted on this one. Do I have any options other than re-homing him? Re-aquascaping isn’t much of an option due to rocks epoxied together.

I did consider flipping the script and placing the offending fish in the acclimation box, but they would be substantially more difficult to apprehend.

Looking for and appreciating some advice/suggestions!

Total fish list:
Oscellaris Clown Pair
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Blue-Green Reef Chromis
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Royal Gramma

OP
OP
MountainManReef

MountainManReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the "mirror trick" (hanging a cheap mirror off one side of the tank). It has worked for most of my wrasses.
Can you explain more? Is this used in conjunction with acclimation box or designed to confuse other fish? Thank you!

I am considering the following:

1. Trapping the offending fish and giving them a 3-4 week timeout to sort of “reset” territories

2. Adding a group of fish like chromis or cardinals to distribute targets, but could see that being hit or miss.

I am likely to try both, and I like the sound of this mirror trick.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain more? Is this used in conjunction with acclimation box or designed to confuse other fish? Thank you!

I am considering the following:

1. Trapping the offending fish and giving them a 3-4 week timeout to sort of “reset” territories

2. Adding a group of fish like chromis or cardinals to distribute targets, but could see that being hit or miss.

I am likely to try both, and I like the sound of this mirror trick.
I just bought a cheap mirror from the Dollar Store and hung it off the side of the glass. All the wrasses in the tank spent hours (days) admiring themselves, which was enough time to let some new residents get settled in. I've used it 3-4 times and it always works - with wrasses anyway (YMMV with other fish).

OP
OP
MountainManReef

MountainManReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a cheap mirror from the Dollar Store and hung it off the side of the glass. All the wrasses in the tank spent hours (days) admiring themselves, which was enough time to let some new residents get settled in. I've used it 3-4 times and it always works - with wrasses anyway (YMMV with other fish).
Ordered some cheapo mirrors! I will update! Also build a second fish jail in case I need to go that route. Searched and read about a few more people having success with the mirror trick. I am likely going to see how the other fish react to the mirror before I let the new guy loose as I have somehow been lucky enough to catch him twice on first try.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have recently purchased a male Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse. He is a healthy/beautiful fish which should be a gentle addition to my 60g Innovative Marine SR60.

Thursday I acclimated him to my display tank, and placed him in a magnetic acclimation box. He immediately drew attention/aggression from my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, and my female Oscellaris clownfish. I did feed him within the box several times each day and he did eat frozen foods and some Reef Nutrition pods. Over the past few days I did not observe the other fish pay him much mind at all.

First thing this morning before the sun was up and while the room was still pitch dark I opened the lid to the acclimation box and let him swim out on his own when ready.

As I observed throughout the day, I noticed the Angel took a swipe or two at him, but eventually backed off and it seemed like the wrasse was swimming with a group of fish, including the
I observed further for a few hours and noticed the female clown was swimming out in the open water, away from the zone she typically hosts/guards.

I then went outside for about 45 minutes and when I returned the wrasse’s tail was in my overflow (a classic sign that you have a stressed/dying fish that may be experiencing swim bladder and other issues.)

So I have now returned him to the acclimation box. I am hoping he will pull through. He is swimming, with a small tear in his tail that has now appeared.

My bag of tricks is about exhausted on this one. Do I have any options other than re-homing him? Re-aquascaping isn’t much of an option due to rocks epoxied together.

I did consider flipping the script and placing the offending fish in the acclimation box, but they would be substantially more difficult to apprehend.

Looking for and appreciating some advice/suggestions!

Total fish list:
Oscellaris Clown Pair
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Blue-Green Reef Chromis
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Royal Gramma
Like my tangs do, the angel will back off once it realizes wrasse is not a threat. However, you can isolate the angel for 72 hours which will allow the wrasse an opportunity to explore, get acquainted with tank and find a suitable hiding spot

Last edited:
OP
OP
MountainManReef

MountainManReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a preliminary 5 minute test of the mirror to see how much attention it would draw. Everyone was very agitated except for my Lawnmower Blenny and Royal Gramma. I will likely release the wrasse today or tomorrow when I am confident I have time to monitor.

OP
OP
MountainManReef

MountainManReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, the mirror trick worked like an absolute charm. I can’t thank you enough. One of the absolute best hacks/tricks I’ve ever encountered.

I deployed 3 mirrors on 3 different viewing panes of my tank. It really got everyone agitated and took all pressure off new wrasse.

For people experiencing similar, I must also include that this wrasse spent 8 or so days in an acclimation box which I moved to several different locations before I utilized the mirrors.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back