Introduction of a New Nem, follow along!

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one day you're going to wake up and that thing will be up the side of your glass. I too love anemones but it's going to get to where it wants to be no matter what you want. Good luck. Hopefully it will cooperate with you

negative, not my first rodeo.

Last edited:

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine either I've had one for over 7 years and still once in a while it moves. Can't predict it can't stop it. It's the nature of the beast

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but I simply disagree. I've had multiples for multiple years and have known when something happened that would cause one to move. I have also not had one move unexpectedly. The whole point of this thread is to help dispel the myth that Nems move unexpectedly, just because you may not notice or see the signs of when one is unhappy or may move, does not necessarily mean they are not there.

Anyways, I'll have more updates today guys from pictures taken last night and what not. Had to go help a neighbor cut down two trees this morning before they got hurricaned onto his house.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to stamp this as done, and I apologize for being so spotty with updates here, I've been dealing with helping my elderly neighbors prepare for this Hurricane as I live in SW Georgia and luckily I just convinced my mom after 4 days of trying to leave her trailer on top of a wide open hill near Gainesville and come up here.

Ok so here we go final update. After this post most any progress will likely be moved to my build thread.

As you guys can see in the picture he is nicely opened and doing well. You can probably also spot a brand new MP-40 just behind and below him. What I observed of the first 24 hours after his base began to stretch out, it seemed almost droopy on the left side, like it wasn't happy with something about the flow. Because I chose the side of the tank the flow and that area basically comes right across the top of him and then pulls down between his rock and the glass. My suspicions were affirmed when on Friday, I saw the front edge of his foot start to bubble on the close right side like it was thinking about moving. So what I did was put that MP-40 behind him in random reef crest mode at about half power which now gives them the nice turbulent and random flow the species likes. About an hour after installing the power head the foot layed back down and for the past few days it has not budged an inch and has opened up nicely.

So I'm counting Friday, Saturday and Sunday as 3 days of stability where the animal has been settled and exhibiting all of the signs of a normal and healthy nem. As a result when I fed today I did lightly spray a little bit of crushed up LRS Reef Frenzy towards the oral disc Just real tiny pieces and nothing it had to work real hard to get into it's mouth or eat. It has been balling up appropriately at night light is expected from this species and overall I'm thrilled to have a Mag back after over a month without one for the first time in years.

zNq0L3S.jpg

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. One of these days, I will make an attempt to get a mag and a gig.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. One of these days, I will make an attempt to get a mag and a gig.

Thank you. Learn your tank first, then if you want one, just try to learn as much about them before hand as possible. They are tricky and difficult, I think most says Mags are a little harder then Gigs, but both are definitely labeled as for "experienced" reefers for a reason. You'll get there man, enjoy the journey.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job Amoo and thank you for documenting this. I've enjoyed reading and learning.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I love your posts!!

Thank you, I've been without power until this morning. Had to move my generator of to MIA & FIA's house since they are still out. I'll have some funny pictures of the tank in various states of power as I was hooking things up in my build thread after a little while. In the mean time I have 29 alerts and need to see if somebody needs my help :p

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just using this thread to update you guys who are having issues, so hopefully if you are you find this. I was at mom and dad's today and cutup a little over a cord of wood from downed limbs. I have raid tonight (been playing WoW since vanilla don't hate, mythic sisters is a PITA), I'll be on after to offer help.

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I have a love hate relationship with those anemones. Handled a lot over the yrs with no issue but those ritteri's pack a punch. This is one that I had for a few yrs and this is what happened when my forearm grazed the tentacles one day.

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just using this thread to update you guys who are having issues, so hopefully if you are you find this. I was at mom and dad's today and cutup a little over a cord of wood from downed limbs. I have raid tonight (been playing WoW since vanilla don't hate, mythic sisters is a PITA), I'll be on after to offer help.

Ive been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I'm in the process purchasing my first BTA and from all the threads on the anemone section you seem to be very experienced, my question is are you not worried about introducing any pest into you DT by not quarantining. From what I read based on the condition of the anemone you went straight into the DT is there not the potential of introducing ich into the system? I also read your sticky on how you Cipro, is that something you do only when there is an issue or signs of sickness, and can that medication contaminate equipment permanently like copper for example? sorry for all the question, I'm still new to reefing

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I'm in the process purchasing my first BTA and from all the threads on the anemone section you seem to be very experienced, my question is are you not worried about introducing any pest into you DT by not quarantining. From what I read based on the condition of the anemone you went straight into the DT is there not the potential of introducing ich into the system? I also read your sticky on how you Cipro, is that something you do only when there is an issue or signs of sickness, and can that medication contaminate equipment permanently like copper for example? sorry for all the question, I'm still new to reefing

The only time I go straight to DT with a NEM is if I have ordered it off of Diver's Den. It's still not 100% chance the nem may not be contaminated with something, but the rate of survivial plus their internal QT practices make the DT the ideal option for me. If I were to go to a local store and pick up a Nem, I would QT it regardless. Now that said, the best chance of survival is still the DT, but at the same time it's also the greatest chance for disaster if the Nem goes on a walk about.

No evidence of any chemical absorption with Cirpo that I have ever been able to find, I still bleach everything when I'm done anyways though.

As an example, I just had to redo my scaping yesterday in fact because this Nem had begun shifting a little and I KNOW that is a sign he's not happy about something. I checked water params, no major swings there, I knew I had changed flow. It was evident he wasn't thrilled in his current spot and getting shifty so I moved his entire rock to a different area of the tank and he's much happier now. No shifting in 24 hours.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot I wanted to say thank you for doing research before getting into a Nem. They're not incredibly difficult, but they have their own nuances different from anything else we have in the hobby and if you're not prepared ahead of time with the proper knowledge and equipment the not so difficult treatment if needed can become extremely stressful.

rgodoy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot I wanted to say thank you for doing research before getting into a Nem. They're not incredibly difficult, but they have their own nuances different from anything else we have in the hobby and if you're not prepared ahead of time with the proper knowledge and equipment the not so difficult treatment if needed can become extremely stressful.

Thanks for the reply and the info! Do you run your qt tank the same as you would for fish or is there anything special I may need?

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for nem is typically a clean tank (never been used with copper) with a powerhead and heater sectioned off/ divided so that the nem can not get into them. Some people usually use a glass or overturned pot for the nem to attach. Typically no liverock. It is more for short term observation, not long term like with fish. If it shows signs of infection then it will be a treatment tank, following the steps listed in Amoo's sticky, which typically has 100% water changes every 12-24hrs. Little brief explanation.

Here is treatment-
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-i-cipro.211822/

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo in this example you added the H. magnifica straight to the DT (after temperature acclimation, but without dripping). I understand why. What would you have done if the salinities did not match. Assuming a shipped anemone. In other words, is there a case you would drip acclimate an anemone for the DT or are the toxicity concerns too high in your opinion?

My guess is you will say you would make Salinity adjustments in the QT, but would you ever recommend drip acclimating for addition to the DT?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman I've honestly never seen a Nem come in without matching salinity (35ish) . That said, if this did happen I would probably add a 1/4" volume to what was in the bag at my tank salinity, then drip for no more then 30 minutes. Nems in shipping bags is bad, really want to get them out ASAP.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back