Introduction of a New Nem, follow along!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman I've honestly never seen a Nem come in without matching salinity (35ish) . That said, if this did happen I would probably add a 1/4" volume to what was in the bag at my tank salinity, then drip for no more then 30 minutes. Nems in shipping bags is bad, really want to get them out ASAP.

Funny. In the 90s when I had various anemone species, it was float, add to DT and monitor just as you do. Perhaps I am over thinking it in my return to reefing. Some, like Karen (Karen’s Anemones) advocate the drip methodology. Back when she wrote that though, anemones were probably more likely from an LFS than shipped.

Dripping is one of those things that makes sense, but I understand for a shipped anemone it may be better to get them in the DT once you open the bag. I am receiving a BTA shipped tomorrow and am considering the best approach. Thank you for your insight.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. In the 90s when I had various anemone species, it was float, add to DT and monitor just as you do. Perhaps I am over thinking it in my return to reefing. Some, like Karen (Karen’s Anemones) advocate the drip methodology. Back when she wrote that though, anemones were probably more likely from an LFS than shipped.

Dripping is one of those things that makes sense, but I understand for a shipped anemone it may be better to get them in the DT once you open the bag. I am receiving a BTA shipped tomorrow and am considering the best approach. Thank you for your insight.

Contact who you got it from and match your QT salinity ahead of time. Check the bag when you get it in and if it's on, move it straight over after the float.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact who you got it from and match your QT salinity ahead of time. Check the bag when you get it in and if it's on, move it straight over after the float.

Thanks. It is a BTA (my first) so not as finicky probably as the Anemones I kept in the past (H magnifica, H crispa and less so, Condylactis) so I will give it a go. Thanks again.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this whole thread...……….really good documentation.

I have been successful with BTA's, getting them to stay where I want them. So far all 3 have stayed put and never wandered. A few things worked for me very similar, but different, to what you do.

I have a pair of Ocellaris and am wanting a Magnifica.

I would be very happy if you would help me along. I can post pics and questions here, in my build thread, or start a new thread.

Thanks

Mike

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this whole thread...……….really good documentation.

I have been successful with BTA's, getting them to stay where I want them. So far all 3 have stayed put and never wandered. A few things worked for me very similar, but different, to what you do.

I have a pair of Ocellaris and am wanting a Magnifica.

I would be very happy if you would help me along. I can post pics and questions here, in my build thread, or start a new thread.

Thanks

Mike

It's up to you Mike, just tag me directly.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one day you're going to wake up and that thing will be up the side of your glass. I too love anemones but it's going to get to where it wants to be no matter what you want. Good luck. Hopefully it will cooperate with you

I disagree, and also have the same experience when it comes to mags that given proper placement, and learning their prefered conditions and reading their type of body language makes it somewhat easy to place, and recognize whether it's a good location just by observing them and their reaction.

It's very much different from BTA, in which case I'd be prone to agree w/ your comment.

Good post to help gain awareness of how different anemone's are depending on species, seems so many people base anemone experiences and reactions solely on BTA's as they have been so far the easiest to come by and most common, but recent changes in ability to keep the more challenging nems has been a big game changer. Good to see effort in helping people step up their game in the keeping of clowns and nems and having that successful symbiotic relationship

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of flow do you suggest a BTA might be happiest in? Low?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of flow do you suggest a BTA might be happiest in? Low?

I've had several BTA's that were all clones from mother given to me once for a nem specific(so basically the same anemone x3), one went high, one went low, one went straight in front of a PH, IMO it's anyones guess w/ BTA's

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool - thanks for this. I've been keeping BTAs on/off for 10 years and been kicking around the idea of trying a different variety. I want to give a Seabae nem a shot.

been playing WoW since vanilla don't hate

You looking at Pantheon? I played Ultima and EQ when MMOs were in their infancy. Pantheon is bringing the hardcore difficulty back.

IMO it's anyones guess w/ BTA's

They're total psycos aren't they? Mine like to chill just a few inches from the gyre...total weirdos lol

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You looking at Pantheon? I played Ultima and EQ when MMOs were in their infancy. Pantheon is bringing the hardcore difficulty back.

Right now the only thing I'm looking at is my kitchen still :(.

I've been in on the kickstarter for Camelot Unchained which is supposed to be the new WAR, it's been in development for a good 4/5 years now. I haven't looked into Pantheon yet. When I have time it's mainly WoW and LoL for me, but I will check it out.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in on the kickstarter for Camelot Unchained which is supposed to be the new WAR, it's been in development for a good 4/5 years now. I haven't looked into Pantheon yet. When I have time it's mainly WoW and LoL for me, but I will check it out.

I hear ya buddy! Ugh these games take forever to develop but when they're rushed out they bomb out. Thanks again for the cipro guide and this - I will use all these resources when/if deciding to acquire a different type nem!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Dancingmad,
They're total psycos aren't they? Mine like to chill just a few inches from the gyre...total weirdos lol[/QUOTE]

I once had 3 clones from same BTA given to me for a nem specific, one went to highest spot, one to lowest spot in tank, one straight in front of a PH being blasted by flow, they are just so random and unpredictable.

LTA, Malu, Magnifica, if I put them where I think they want, they pretty much have stayed there, much more predictable based on observation

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back