OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 10-15% water change yesterday after replacing my RO/DI filters. Also added some MB7 and a drop of zeoBAK. Today my montipora spongodes colony has skeleton showing on a few of the tips.

I have considered doing and aquabiomics test but I am going to go ahead and start treating the tank with 3mL of cipro daily and see what kind of results I get. If that doesn't work I also have some chemiclean I could treat the tank with.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 10-15% water change yesterday after replacing my RO/DI filters. Also added some MB7 and a drop of zeoBAK. Today my montipora spongodes colony has skeleton showing on a few of the tips.

I have considered doing and aquabiomics test but I am going to go ahead and start treating the tank with 3mL of cipro daily and see what kind of results I get. If that doesn't work I also have some chemiclean I could treat the tank with.

What are you hoping to achieve with antibiotics?

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you hoping to achieve with antibiotics?
Well I have basically narrowed down the fact that it’s not water parameters, lighting or flow that’s the issue. The only other thing it could be is a bacterial infection. I’m throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks at this point

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I took my filter roller offline, and I'm not saying that was the issue but the tank did a complete 180 almost overnight. My montis got all their color back. The other SPS I have are showing great PE. Extremely positive results so far.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I took my filter roller offline, and I'm not saying that was the issue but the tank did a complete 180 almost overnight. My montis got all their color back. The other SPS I have are showing great PE. Extremely positive results so far.
Wow! Awesome news. I wonder what problem it was causing?

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9908.jpeg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice turn around Jim!
My bet would also be the roller.
A regular filter sock at 200 microns would be better, been using them for years no problems. When I run a sand system, I usually don't use socks. For BB, like my current tank, it's almost a must. That, or regular maintenance on the sump.
Beautiful display, glad you are enjoying your tank my friend!!!

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fantastic!
Appreciate it! Super happy with how its doing as of late.
Nice turn around Jim!
My bet would also be the roller.
A regular filter sock at 200 microns would be better, been using them for years no problems. When I run a sand system, I usually don't use socks. For BB, like my current tank, it's almost a must. That, or regular maintenance on the sump.
Beautiful display, glad you are enjoying your tank my friend!!!
Thanks Perry! It was crazy how detrimental the roller was to the system and how it was an almost overnight change from when I removed it. I've considered adding a filter sock back on but I don't want to mess with anything since the system seems happy. I appreciate the kind words, I am really enjoying it lately. Just fighting the urge to add more stuff. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it! Super happy with how its doing as of late.

Thanks Perry! It was crazy how detrimental the roller was to the system and how it was an almost overnight change from when I removed it. I've considered adding a filter sock back on but I don't want to mess with anything since the system seems happy. I appreciate the kind words, I am really enjoying it lately. Just fighting the urge to add more stuff. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I hear you Jim, I know all too well about ups and downs in this hobby! I have been hearing things about these rollers, and was wondering when the roller craze would end. I have had the pleasure to know some really knowledgeable Polish aquarist, you would be surprised that most don't use any mechanical filtration. When I have run sockless, during dark hours, it's quite an improved feeding response from acros. I typically remove with sand, as I can rely on the sand, and those dwelling to keep it clean, so I keep detritus in the display to be broken down on managed. In bb,nthe opposite, the display should be detritus free, anything unwanted, in suspension, making its way down to the sump. This scenario almost requires a sock, or the sump can get messy quickly. That said, detritus in the display, in suspension, alternatively feeds corals. I love sand, but love bb maintenance a lot more :)

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you Jim, I know all too well about ups and downs in this hobby! I have been hearing things about these rollers, and was wondering when the roller craze would end. I have had the pleasure to know some really knowledgeable Polish aquarist, you would be surprised that most don't use any mechanical filtration. When I have run sockless, during dark hours, it's quite an improved feeding response from acros. I typically remove with sand, as I can rely on the sand, and those dwelling to keep it clean, so I keep detritus in the display to be broken down on managed. In bb,nthe opposite, the display should be detritus free, anything unwanted, in suspension, making its way down to the sump. This scenario almost requires a sock, or the sump can get messy quickly. That said, detritus in the display, in suspension, alternatively feeds corals. I love sand, but love bb maintenance a lot more :)
This tank has certainly been a roller coaster of ups and downs. I like the thought of bare bottom but I love the sand look too much. Maybe one day I'll get brave enough.Now that you mention it I have noticed I have great PE on my SPS without any kind of mechanical filtration. So no complaints from them!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back