Invert acclimation help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nordy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nordy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Messages
842
Reaction score
912
Location
East Wenatchee Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Tomorrow I’m getting a few porcelain crabs, a Pom Pom crab, and two strawberry conchs. From the supplier, there directions are to float bag in sump no more than 20 minutes and get inverts into the tank asap. I like this method with a lot of invertebrates, but I’m not sure it would be best for the porcelain crabs? I have a few Tongan fighting conchs left in my reef I introduced 6 months ago, but other varieties of conchs seem to become whelk food a few months after I add them. I’ll usually get a few conchs at a time and at least one doesn’t fair great from shipping, the others last 2-3 months after introducing. Maybe my copperband picks at them too often or something is not right with my water parameters. All parameters are in a good spot except my magnesium is high around 1500 currently. So I’m thinking for the Strawberry conchs, Pom Pom, and porcelain crabs I might drip acclimate after floating their bag in my sump, get temp and the salinity spot on before they go in. What are your thoughts to achieve good results?
 
If you are getting them from online I would do the cup method for a while.

If you are getting them in person a drip acclimation wouldn’t be a bad idea.
 
I think the Tongan fighting conchs survive because they get around well and up the aquarium sides to gyres where there is algae. The large conchs might be starving. I put seaweed on clips at the sandbed line and sometimes put massticks on the glass or throw pellets in after lights out to supplemental feed my invert population, but maybe it’s not enough. Are you guys achieving longevity with the larger conchs available?
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new