Inverters: How many of you use them as a back Power Source ?

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverters: How many of you use them as a back Power Source ? Show us your set-up.
51UEIMzC+6L._SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...X236_SY340_QL65&keywords=2000w+power+inverter
I'm thinking of getting one of these 2000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverters along with a couple of Deep Cycle batteries to power the two 500w heaters I have on my 120 gallon tank. I have VorTech battery backups for the MP40s to maintain aeration and circulation. (I live in an apartment, so a generator is not an option for me.)
Anybody else using Power Inverters ?
Please share your set-up. Pics too !

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long would it last you think?

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First, let me say that I am not an electrician, or electrical expert. My understanding of this topic comes from my research, and from talking to people who "are" electricians.

So... the answer to your question depends on a lot of things like:

1) The size (capacity) of the Inverter. The size you choose should be based on the watts (or amps) of the devices you want to run.

2) The type of Inverter: Modified Sine Wave, or Pure Sine Wave. For use with aquarium devices, it is best to use Pure Sine Wave.

3) Type of battery you use with the inverter: Automotive or Deep Cycle. Deep Cycle batteries last longer and can handle more load than automotive batteries. For use with aquarium devices, it is best to use Sealed AGM Deep Cycle batteries.

4) The rated amp hours of the battery you are going to use (90, 125, 160 or 220).

5) The combined watt value of the aquarium devices you plan to run. (Two 300 watt heaters would have a combined watt value of 600 watts).

6) The number of batteries you have on hand. You can operate the inverter from just one battery -or- a "bank" of 12 Volt batteries of the same type connected together in a "parallel" configuration. So two batteries will generate twice the amp/hours of a single battery; three batteries will generate three times the amp/hours, and so on. This will add capacity and lengthen the time you can run your devices before your batteries will need to be recharged.

I am planning to get the 2000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter I mentioned above with 4 Deep Cycle 125ah sealed AGM batteries connected together in parallel for extra capacity.

I'm setting this up primarily so that I can run my 300 watt heaters in my 120 gallon DT in the event of an extended power outage. The other thing that was explained to me is that since heaters do not run "continuously" and are only on for about 1/3 of each hour, I can expect to get 16 - 32 hours out of this set-up for my intended use. (Depending on whether I run just one heater, or both).

*** Forum Electricians: Please chime in...

Last edited:

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's do some quick math. Two 500W heaters draw 1000W at 120VAC, or about 8.3 amps combined. Assuming you have two 125Ah batteries, that's 250Ah at a draw of 8.3 A, the batteries would *theoretically* last around 30 hours. However, battery capacity is reduced at larger draw rates, and the age/condition comes into play as well, so a reasonable guesstimate is 12-15 hours. I haven't taken into account the efficiency of the inverter or other loads that may be attached, so it's only a guess.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that a few of our resident Electricians will also chime in.
If you are going to be around for this extended power outage, an inverter generator may be a better deal.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to be around for this extended power outage, an inverter generator may be a better deal.

What's the difference between an inverter
and an inverter generator ?
(I live in an apartment, so a generator or anything that requires gas or propane fuel is not an option for me.)

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverter generator runs on gas or propane. Example like a Honda eu3000is. They produce clean electricity for sensitive equipment like computers etc.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverter generator runs on gas or propane. Example like a Honda eu3000is. They produce clean electricity for sensitive equipment like computers etc.

I live in an apartment, so a generator or anything that requires gas or propane fuel is not an option for me. That's why I am looking at using a regular inverter along with several deep cycle batteries connected together to extend the run time if needed.

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. Just figure out what load you have. Get a inverter capable of handling your needs.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment, so a generator or anything that requires gas or propane fuel is not an option for me. That's why I am looking at using a regular inverter along with several deep cycle batteries connected together to extend the run time if needed.
Do you have a balcony? If yes, you may still be able to use an inverter generator. Just store the fuel out of the apartment. Unless your contract specifically excludes any device that runs on liquid fuel.

There is a big difference in regular generators compared to quality inverter generators. In addition to the quality of power, they are so quiet that if you are running one in your balcony, you will not hear the sound in the living room. You should check one out.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a balcony? If yes, you may still be able to use an inverter generator. Just store the fuel out of the apartment. Unless your contract specifically excludes any device that runs on liquid fuel.

There is a big difference in regular generators compared to quality inverter generators. In addition to the quality of power, they are so quiet that if you are running one in your balcony, you will not hear the sound in the living room. You should check one out.

Hi Seth... I do have a balcony, however, we are prohibited from using "anything" that requires gas or propane fuel - even for cooking. So we can't even use grills on our balconies. The complex has several grills stationed throughout the property that we can use, but we are not supposed to use our own on our individual balconies.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Seth... I do have a balcony, however, we are prohibited from using "anything" that requires gas or propane fuel - even for cooking. So we can't even use grills on our balconies. The complex has several grills stationed throughout the property that we can use, but we are not supposed to use our own on our individual balconies.
Your options are going to limited. Is it possible that you could run a generator with a long extension cord if needed (maybe place the generator out in the parking lot)? The issue is that the power draw you are wanting to provide is really more in the inverter generator or generator range that it is in the range for a battery-inverter combination.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like most of you are against using a regular, high wattage, pure sine inverter with deep cycle batteries in the way that I have described in post #3 above.

Is there something inherently wrong with that set-up ?

@Brew12: what say you ?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like most of you are against using a regular inverter in the way that I have described in post #3 above.

Is there something inherently wrong with that set-up ?

@Brew12: what say you ?
There's nothing wrong with your suggestion. It's just that the logistics of keeping 4- 12VDC batteries charged and on standby is going to be a tough chore. You will probably need at least that many to get a good 24 hours runtime with the electrical load you want to run. Are you in a cold climate? If so, I can understand the desire to run the heaters.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in a cold climate? If so, I can understand the desire to run the heaters.

I live in North Carolina, so we experience all four seasons. But during the winter months, we tend to get ice storms rather than snow accumulation, which leads to prolonged power outages at times. When the power is out, it gets pretty cold inside the apartment, so I want to be able to keep the temps inside the tank from getting so cold that it kills everything off. And its only the heaters that will be running off the inverter - nothing else. I have VorTech Battery Backups for my MP40s. Plus, heaters don't typically run continuously. They cut on, and they cut off.

Last edited:

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in North Carolina, so we experience all four seasons. But during the winter months, we tend to get ice storms rather than snow accumulation, which leads to prolonged power outages at times. When the power is out, it gets pretty cold inside the apartment, so I want to be able to keep the temps inside the tank from getting so cold that is kills everything off. And its only the heaters that will be running off the inverter - nothing else. I have VorTech Battery Backups for my MP40s. Plus, heaters don't typically run continuously. They cut on, and they cut off.
Agreed, but you need to keep in mind that they WILL be running continuously if you lose your central heating. Even if they don't run continuously, it will still be quite cold inside and the heater duty cycle will be quite high, approaching 100%, depending on inside temperature, tank losses, etc. I think the best you can do is get a bunch of 12V batteries and maintain them with a trickle charger. When I got down to understanding what is actually required to supply 500 or 1000W for an extended time, it became quite clear how much we take reliable power for granted. This, by the way, is also the issue with solar power...aside of the fact that the sun doesn't shine 24 hours per day, the task of storing enough energy to get through the night is quite daunting with the current state of battery technology.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneek in a kerosene heater? To help ambient temp.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 500w inverter and deep cycle Maine battery I use on my boat. Runs Aprox. 6h running 200w heater and jebao 6000 return on number 2 setting. It is an older battery I keep in a float maintainer

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back