Iodine depletion?

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

So a couple of weeks ago I got an ICP back from Triton that read 0 iodine. Thinking this couldn't be possible, as I do an AWC - 1 gallon per day, I ignored it. Well last night I got my Oceamo test back from Aquabiomics and that test also reads 0 iodine. Is it possible I got a bag of salt that doesn't have iodine mixed in? It's RSRP. I do have quite a few inverts, could they be depleting it that quickly? Could this be causing my STN issues with acros and leptastrea? (Montis are all doing well, as is all LPS & Softies.) I also seem to have high lithium. Any idea on the cause of that? Tests are attached.

Thank you for your help!

Oh also, both these tests were taken within minutes of each other.

Attachments

• OC185402.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
  • RSR XL200 - 09_29_2021 (B-0rMAQ2).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 33

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with testing for these things is that we now have to fix them!
I’m also seeing basically zero iodine in two tanks. One is all zoas the other is a mixed reef. Zoa tank runs chemi-pure blue, mixed reef runs gfo and carbon. Not sure if it’s the corals or the chemical filtration media that’s sucking out the iodine, but I have been dosing to correct it. Corals appear to thank me but the levels are rapidly depleted again.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Iodine consumption can vary greatly from tank to tank. I would start with a weekly supplemental dose of 2 x 7 µg/l (7 micrograms of iodine per litre - dosing volume depends on the used product and your tank size), and send in the next analysis in 4-6 weeks time. We will see afterwards if this dose is sufficient, or should be adopted.

Best regards,
Christoph

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank, iodine depleted very rapidly, from 0.06 ppm to less than 0.02 ppm (undetectable by kit) in a few days.

Algae readily consume iodine, especially brown macroalgae.

FWIW, I did not find it useful to supplement it. I dosed it for years, then stopped and saw nothing apparently change.

Very few organisms that might be in a reef tank have a scientifically demonstrated need for iodine.

Supplementing is certainly fine to do, but should be done as an experiment, IMO, to see if it changes anything.

OP
OP
C

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank, iodine depleted very rapidly, from 0.06 ppm to less than 0.02 ppm (undetectable by kit) in a few days.

FWIW, I did not find it useful to supplement it. I dosed it for years, then stopped and saw nothing apparently change.

Very few organisms that might be in a reef tank have a scientifically demonstrated need for iodine.

Supplementing is certainly fine to do, but should be done as an experiment, IMO, to see if it changes anything.
What about inverts and their need for iodine to molt?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about inverts and their need for iodine to molt?

An oft-stated and never proven myth, IMO.

I kept inverts such as shrimp and hermits just fine without supplemental iodine.

Shrimp are commercially raised for food without supplemental iodine.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Supplementing is certainly fine to do, but should be done as an experiment, IMO, to see if it changes anything.is

Just got back my ICP test and I have zero iodine. Is there a particular brand of iodine that you feel works well and is it worth getting an iodine test kit?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a particular brand to recommend, but I do recommend the form: iodide (I-). There are many appropriate brands, or DIY.

I am not a fan of Lugol's solution, since it contains an unnatural form of iodine (I2) that is chemically reactive.

Back