Iodine test kits what do you recommend

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm looking to test and looking for the best test kit for iodine. Iodine is not only for corals or fish. Its essential for macroalgaes, specially the red ones, to keep their colors, one in particular; actually disolves in front of your eyes in a few hours if you don't have iodine in sufficient quantity, Dragon's Breath. I had $300 worth of Macroalgae species in my 75 G starfire display refugium

Photo403-1.jpg

And i lost some macro's because of iodine and iodide defficiency . So i'm very interested in knowing which is the best testing kit. I've dosed Kent Lugol's , the first time knowing that was the problem , but now i want to know the score before doing it. i could do it every 2 weeks half the dosage like some do all the time but i rather play by the rules. I've also notice my zooz litteraly exploding in the last 2 weeks. I of course feed as well but i can't see stopping the iodine because its difficult to detect thats a cop out!

Photo444.jpg

It did save my algae collection.

Photo359-2.jpg

And without supplements refugiums wont exist, it takes more that nitrates, and phosphates, i've turned off my GFO the fuge is taking all the nitrates and phosphates away now. The skimmer take the amonia and the iodine with it.

Photo364-1.jpg

Photo365-1.jpg

High levels of calciums , magnesium and Alk will stop the growth of algae actually at the benefit of Macroalgaes who preffer those high levels.

Photo366.jpg

Photo362-1.jpg

So any recommendation on the test kits would be appreciated. thanks for your time.

Photo361-1.jpg

Mtnbikedan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea pro test kit. There are few steps you'll have to follow and it takes a few minutes but overall fairly easy to use and it appears to be accurate.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back