Is 1-3x uv turnover best rate for dinos?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to check if that was the proper turnover rate... Uv is a 57w Aqua UV for ref :) Thank you

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read an advised minimum turnover for dinos is 3x, but more is probably better. Dinos die easily with UV (unlike ich) and you could probably run high flow through a 57W aquaUV (I have the same unit). Without knowing your plumbing, return pump, size of DT, not able to say much more.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read an advised minimum turnover for dinos is 3x, but more is probably better. Dinos die easily with UV (unlike ich) and you could probably run high flow through a 57W aquaUV (I have the same unit). Without knowing your plumbing, return pump, size of DT, not able to say much more.

This has been my experience as well, the dinos have I have treated with UV were quite susceptible to uv. I would start with flow on the higher side and then lower it if the tank isn’t improved.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was forwarded this link by @Humblefish, its a very comprehensive article with detailed dwell and flow exposures for several classes of sterilisation.
Hope it helps you, it was gold for me.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some good information in the linked website, but boy is the writing style certainly rough around the edges...

From the dino thread, the suggestion was between 1-12x, with the caveat that most of those recommendations were largely based off ostreopsis. You may have to play around with it. The 0.3w/gallon seems to be successful for many with some finding more success at 0.5w/gallon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back