is 1" PVC large enough for adult barred/snowflake moray?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70g cube

I built some rockwork with PVC integrated for my eels to chill. Both of them are about 10" long and fit in the same opening just fine... at least for now. And, from time to time, spend their day at their own opening. But I'm wondering if I should rebuild it to prepare for their larger size in the future.

Capture1.JPG

There are two openings as of now. Easy for them to move around and easy to clean out with a pump when needed. (Ignore the PVC at the top. Its filled with expanding foam and is just there to support rockwork.)

I know both Barred Morays and Snowflake Morays can get up to 2.5' long but I'm not sure how thick they get. Also not sure how long it takes them to get that big. 3 years? 5 years?

Capture2.JPG

I'll happily spend time rebuilding this rockwork. I enjoy it quite a bit actually. I just want to prepare it for their future size and I'm not sure if 1" PVC is sufficient long term. Length-wise I already assume I need to give them more space. But I have no idea about the thickness of their home.

Thoughts?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice idea. The biggest snowflake I've seen was probably a little skinnier than a beer bottle (bud light, not red stripe), if that helps.

Back