Is 9 hours peak time too long ?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m adjusting lights and wondering. Is 9 hours peak time too long? Lights in 11.5 hours total. With 9 being peak. The rest is ramping up and ramp down. Curious what you guys have for peak times.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m adjusting lights and wondering. Is 9 hours peak time too long? Lights in 11.5 hours total. With 9 being peak. The rest is ramping up and ramp down. Curious what you guys have for peak times.
It depends on what par, flow, and type of coral, imo.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy sps 450 max par. Heavy flow like 50-70x turnover from power heads alone.
My peak is about 6 hours at 300 par at the top of the tank, and high flow for my sps. But every tank is different. It is safer to go lower first, then slowly increase it though.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MH lights are on 7.5 hours a day.
But honestly I wouldn't worry about the corals getting too much light, reefs in the summer can have 16 hours of sunlight. I would be more concerned about algae growth with long light period.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My peak is about 6 hours at 300 par at the top of the tank, and high flow for my sps. But every tank is different. It is safer to go lower first, then slowly increase it though.
Yea I turned it down a little bit to 8 hours peak. Acclimating for 45 days starting at 50 percent. I just mounted a bunch of sticks from frag rack. That should be slow enough over 45 days ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But honestly I wouldn't worry about the corals getting too much light, reefs in the summer can have 16 hours of sunlight. I would be more concerned about algae growth with long light period.
Very good point. I backed it down to 8 hours peak. I just want to maximize how many hours in a day I can enjoy reef.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am curious, where do reefs get 16 hours of sunlight?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I turned it down a little bit to 8 hours peak. Acclimating for 45 days starting at 50 percent. I just mounted a bunch of sticks from frag rack. That should be slow enough over 45 days ?
Depending on how much light they got before, they may change color. In my experience acros usually turn green or brown in lower light. But to me, it is better than bleaching them out, or causing stn. Plus, the colors usually come back after a few months in the higher par.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lots of places get 14-16 hours of daylight in the summer. I usually run as much light as I can without bleaching or seeing algae.
The longest day of 2022 on Great Barrier Reef - 13 hours and 03 min.
Bali, Indonesia was - 12 hours and 37 min.

I do not believe that any of the tropical seas get 14-16 hours of sunlight.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2322.jpeg

Astrological sunrise/set adds over an hour of light. Even going by civilian sunrise/set it’s over 14.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
5-7 hours is my peak but will vary with each person's lighting type and needs for type and amount of coral in their tanks. SPS dominant tanks will have a higher demand whereas LPS tank will have lower needs.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5-7 hours is my peak but will vary with each person's lighting type and needs for type and amount of coral in their tanks. SPS dominant tanks will have a higher demand whereas LPS tank will have lower needs.
I turned it down to 8 hours peak. I just really want to maximize how long I can view the tank. But tbh I need to stop adjusting my dang lights lol. I figured since it’s mostly sps I could go a little longer but 9 hours sounds long. Even 8. I had it at 7 before like you.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all 3 systems at 1hr up/down and 10hrs peak. All systems are 95% acros.
Radions run ab+ at 100/100.
220 par on the bottom, 12.5", 350 midway and 550 1" below.
With the radions I run 1 quanta blue and pick up an addional 100 par. The blue runs 8hrs peak.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run all 3 systems at 1hr up/down and 10hrs peak. All systems are 95% acros.
Radions run ab+ at 100/100.
220 par on the bottom, 12.5", 350 midway and 550 1" below.
With the radions I run 1 quanta blue and pick up an addional 100 par. The blue runs 8hrs peak.
Very neat. I would think 10 hours peak would be too long. I probably will increase my peak time if I don’t see any issue. I’m at 8 hours now. I want to maximize my viewing time. Very similar par levels to me and I would say I’m 90 percent acro too. It has amazed me how much par torches and hammers can handle.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back