Is a 30 gallon big enough for a Hector's/Rainford's Goby

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
87
Reaction score
41
Location
Sheboygan, WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was at my local reef store yesterday, and was talking with the manager about the eventual fish load for my 30 gallon softy reef I am setting up. She suggested a sand sifting algae nibbling goby like a Rainford's or a Hector's goby. They had a Hector's goby in a tank there and it a very cool fish.

Is a mature 30 gallon with established rock, pods, algae, sandbed, etc big enough to support a Hector's or Rainford's goby? I know they can be hard to feed, so I would want to make sure there would be enough flora and fauna in the tank for one. I Obviously wouldn't put one in until the tank is old enough.

Tankmates might be something like one royal gramma and one bangai cardinalfish.

Thanks,
-pg
 
I've got a hectors in a 40 gallon for almost 1.5 years now. It just picks at the rocks all day, I don't know if it eats prepared food, but it doesn't beg like my other fish do. My tank was a few years old when it was added. Once you've got stuff growing on your rocks I think it should be ok in a 30 gallon
 
I also like the tailspot blenny, and having a good bit of algae eating going on in the tank seems like a good thing, provided there is enough.

Do people her think a well established 30 gallon provide enough browsing for a Tailspot Blenny and a Hector's/Rainford's goby?

Thanks,
-pg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new