Is a copper test kit required for treating velvet?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m currently dealing with velvet with copper power and would like to know if a copper test kit is required. Also do I have to slowly increase the dose of the copper power or can I do the effective amount at once?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s required for testing any level of copper when treating and don’t use API brand either

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s required for testing any level of copper when treating and don’t use API brand either
Hello, I’m currently dealing with velvet with copper power and would like to know if a copper test kit is required. Also do I have to slowly increase the dose of the copper power or can I do the effective amount at once?
Also assure the copper says treats OODINUM

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Too much copper = dead fish. Not enough copper = not dead parasites. So you pretty much need a test kit to maintain the proper levels.

It's a pain in the butt. Side effects include no longer buyer fish on a whim, QT'n all future fish and generally doing as much as possible to avoid doing it in the future.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Humblefish website said to use API copper test kits with the Copper power though
API Copper is Garbage and they shouldn't even sell it.

Copper needs to be dosed appropriately to be effective and overdosing equals death.

A reliable test kit is required.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Humblefish website said to use API copper test kits with the Copper power though

I bought 2 different copper tests before finally spending the money on a hanna. I found them to be impossible to read accurately. I didn't use copper power though, so I'm not sure if it has some specific testing that needs to be done.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CopperSafe and a Hanna checker. I have used that combo successfully with LOTS of different types of fish and corals... (HA! NOT “corals”... just wanted to see who was paying attention! :) But for fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you see what year that was written ? API has become notorious for false readings and if you want to risk overdose , API will afford just that. Same applies to API ammonia-nitrate and phosphate kits
Getting a master kit for $20 should tell you a little something about reliability

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see what year that was written ? API has become notorious for false readings and if you want to risk overdose , API will afford just that. Same applies to API ammonia-nitrate and phosphate kits
Getting a master kit for $20 should tell you a little something about reliability
Will a salifert copper test kit do the trick then? Is the guide that Humblefish provided for treating velvet outdtated now? Also another question is if I can aerate water without an air stone but only with the pump and airline tubing. I need to treat it right now and don't have air stones

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will a salifert copper test kit do the trick then? Is the guide that Humblefish provided for treating velvet outdtated now? Also another question is if I can aerate water without an air stone but only with the pump and airline tubing. I need to treat it right now and don't have air stones
Salifert and hanna both good

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a salifert. It was better than the API, but I still found it a little hard to read, so I ended up with a hanna.

However, I was using cupramine, and the recommend level is only .5, it might be easier with a different copper that requires higher levels.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably not the area to cheap out. You are using substances toxic to fish and error can also mean the parasite isn’t eliminated.

Humblefish recommends the Hannah kit.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Air stone is not essential. Just tubing is acceptable

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys one last question. My fish with visible infections has passed. A tang and 2 clowns (one of the clown passed in quarantine, it was too late I guess.) The others look normal and don't look stressed yet. Can I skip either the freshwater dip or the ruby reef rally dip and move it straight into quarintine with a small amount of copper in this case? Temperature controlling those small areas of water is hard since I don't have small heaters

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys one last question. My fish with visible infections has passed. A tang and 2 clowns (one of the clown passed in quarantine, it was too late I guess.) The others look normal and don't look stressed yet. Can I skip either the freshwater dip or the ruby reef rally dip and move it straight into quarintine with a small amount of copper in this case? Temperature controlling those small areas of water is hard since I don't have small heaters
If the fish actually have velvet, I would get it into therapeutic levels of copper immediately. I personally wouldn't bother with any dip in this case.

Copper Power works great, and is reportedly pretty consistent in concentration. About 1 mL per gallon will get you to 1.75 ppm. So don't wait to add Copper Power just because you don't have a test kit.

API kits are fine for most parameters. There are two caveats:
1. The ammonia kit looks to many folks' eyes to read 0.25 ppm when it's actually 0.0. It works fine for cycling and monitoring.
2. The phosphate kit has a range issue. The bottom limit is 0.0 - 0.25 ppm, which isn't useful.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they aren't looking bad, I would skip the freshwater dip. I only managed to save my sailfin in my tank, and that was only because I was able to catch him due to being sick. I did give him a freshwater dip and it helped. But if he wasn't already looking bad I would have skipped it, seems like it would just be adding stress for no reason. 2 other tangs the freshwater dip did not help, it was too late.

Like the person above said, if you follow the instructions you can probably use copper right away without a test kit. But you'll need it pretty soon. With velvet time is not on your side and you want to be sure it's the right level ASAP.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back