Is a Hammer a Torch Coral?

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a torch coral and some guy on craiglist said that a hammer is a type of torch coral. Is this true? I can't find much info on it. Also what is better a Bak Pak or a Prizm Skimmer? Thanx

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it is a torch but has different tentacles?

Not really. Torch and Hammer are common names for Euphyllia glabrescens (torch) and Euphyllia ancora (hammer). Totally different in appearance to me.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its like a chicken and an eagle are both birds. but an eagle is definitely not a chicken and a chicken is not an eagle lol. like they said.... torch and hammer are both euphylia but the hammer is not a torch.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch (as viewed from above)
DSC_7566.jpg

Hammer as viewwed from the side.
2015-05-07 17.43.50.jpg

notice the main differences are in the Polyp tips and length of the "tentacle" part of the polyp. Most hammer corals will be more dense with short polyp extension. torches will have much longer extension and little balls at the tip. For example, the polyps on my torch photoed above are at least 2-3" long whereas the hammer is about 1" or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. I will check out that article. I got a tomato clown and a picasso trigger yesterday and the clown has some torn up fins. Who should I blame? The Trigger, the snowflake, or the domino damsel (the domino has been following it).

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard different opinions on if triggers are reef safe or not and from what I heard its a hit or miss. I haven't seen him nib any corals but he does love minnows. I had no idea the damsel was not reef safe, I thought they were more of a nice fish. Can the clown change its gender after it already not indecisive anymore?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers will eat any shrimp or crab. Not considered reef safe. Damsel are named ironically. Like calling a big kid tiny. They are very aggressive as they age. Like a trigger not a fish if you want a nice quite reef tank. Clown fish can change gender as needed. But i think unless another more alpha mate is present. It may remain what gender it is. In clowns the only difference i have noticed is the female is much larger.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back