Is a "neutrally cross-linked alkoxy silicone sealant" for threaded fittings reef-safe?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Fermit Plastic Thread Seal (more info here) to seal my threaded fittings.
The sealant is suitable for drinking water, and salt water. So I assumed it should be reef-safe?

Any chance anyone can tell me if a "neutrally cross-linked alkoxy silicone" is reef-safe? That's the main ingredient of the sealant.

Thanks a lot!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you've made a safe assumption based upon the suitability of the product to be used in drinking water, combined with the products good performance with fresh or salt water seals. I wouldn't squeeze a tube directly in the tank but If its safe to "drink" then I think it will work well to seal threads in reef tank plumbing.

I know I didn't give you a completely robust chemistry analysis but the proper understanding of neutrality is likely that it doesn't react with substances found in salt or fresh water that could create a toxic situation as a result of product degredation.

I use a (water supply safe) silicon grease (I didn't read the chemical part of the label) for threaded plastic fittings and o-rings connected to my reef routinely and thus far I have not had any fires as a result. :)

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for this! Happy to know I'm not alone trying to figure this kind of stuff out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back