Is imagitaríum aquarium substrate reef safe?

Hooked_4_Life

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2022
Messages
11
Reaction score
41
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm going to be starting a clownfish harem tank filled with mainly anenomes and some coral and I will be plumbing it to my main display reef. I was planning on using imagitarium aquatic substrate I got from Petco in the harem tank. On the bag it says fresh or salt water, but it doesn't specify reef-safe. Do anyone know if it's reef-safe?
1000008766.jpg
17137569380121589470739380785920.jpg 17137569790435885010783908634444.jpg
 
Hey guys I'm going to be starting a clownfish harem tank filled with mainly anenomes and some coral and I will be plumbing it to my main display reef. I was planning on using imagitarium aquatic substrate I got from Petco in the harem tank. On the bag it says fresh or salt water, but it doesn't specify reef-safe. Do anyone know if it's reef-safe?
1000008766.jpg
17137569380121589470739380785920.jpg 17137569790435885010783908634444.jpg
I did some quick research and found quite a few reviews like this one.........

"beware of imagitarium substrate (petco).
6 months ago I upgraded the circulation on my 75 reef, this created a bare spot in my sand bed, no surprise. I’ve been on the look out for some large size substrate, and could not find at my local shops. After several months, I was in petco and saw some nice white gravel, fresh and marine safe, so I figured I try it out. The next morning all my spa where bleaching, lps were shedding, and softies all closed up. Emergency water change, new carbon, clear the skimmer, etc. after work, things looked worse, all the inverts were dead, snails closed up, and every bristle worm floating half out of the rocks.
Corals are now recovering in the QT, CUC is dead, but no more fire worms, bristle worms, or any other bugs, most likely lost all the pods also. So word to wise, imagitarium from petco is not to be used in marine aquarium."

That being said, I can't see anything wrong with it so basically I do not know the answer to your question lol.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the reply. I've heard similar stories happening... I'll definitely be getting rid of that stuff. Washing off all my rocksa and getting some quality substrate. Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
I’ve had their black sand substrate in my tank for 7 months and have had no issues with losing anything cuc ot coral wise and I’ve got a mix of SPS and LSP, macro algae, clowns (ignore the amount, 2 are moving to their new tank that’s finish cycling), and inverts. I personally like the way black sand (not gravel) looks and this was the only option I could find.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
I’ve had their black sand substrate in my tank for 7 months and have had no issues with losing anything cuc ot coral wise and I’ve got a mix of SPS and LSP, macro algae, clowns (ignore the amount, 2 are moving to their new tank that’s finish cycling), and inverts. I personally like the way black sand (not gravel) looks and this was the only option I could find.
Thanks for the reply, it looks like the white gravel is not ideal for a reef tank. It looks like the process that they use to make it is bleaching the rock witch will leach chemicals into your water...
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new