PraziPro reef safe?

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just purchased some PraziPro to treat flukes, I am going to use it in my mixed reef tank.
What sort of effect on the corals should I expect? It's advertised as reef safe but have heard some people say it bleached some SPS.
The SPS I have is montiporas and birdsnest, which are less sensitive ones, so do you think I can use this without any damage being done?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just purchased some PraziPro to treat flukes, I am going to use it in my mixed reef tank.
What sort of effect on the corals should I expect? It's advertised as reef safe but have heard some people say it bleached some SPS.
The SPS I have is montiporas and birdsnest, which are less sensitive ones, so do you think I can use this without any damage being done?

Prazipro is almost always "reef safe" if used correctly. When it is added to a tank, it comes out of solution as a fine dust. In some cases, that will cause corals to contract, but they typically open back up in a day or two.

Just be sure to maintain really good aeration. I always add an air stone. If you have a skimmer, stop collecting skimmate, but still run the skimmer full blast.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is almost always "reef safe" if used correctly. When it is added to a tank, it comes out of solution as a fine dust. In some cases, that will cause corals to contract, but they typically open back up in a day or two.

Just be sure to maintain really good aeration. I always add an air stone. If you have a skimmer, stop collecting skimmate, but still run the skimmer full blast.
Thanks Jay

I have a nano tank and therefore a nano skimmer, so I suppose I could just unplug the skimmer and run its airflow straight into the display

Is there anything I need to know about accurate dosing? I have quite a fair bit of volume, so I am certain that my water volume has decreased

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is that just for more sensitive snails? I have trochus, turbos and nassarius
Should not bother snails or worms unless overdosed. I generally recommend 85% to compensate for useable gallons

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify - 85% of the dosage, if I don't try to calculate rock displacement?
That's correct - most aquariums have about a 15% reduction in total volume due to rock displacement, so if you don't know the exact net volume of the tank, reducing the dose by 15% will get you close to where you need to be.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct - most aquariums have about a 15% reduction in total volume due to rock displacement, so if you don't know the exact net volume of the tank, reducing the dose by 15% will get you close to where you need to be.
Alright, thanks

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to calculate the displacement somehow?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright, thanks

You can measure tank dimension with water height and come up with volume but I estimate based on rocks and other slid matter

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay

I have a nano tank and therefore a nano skimmer, so I suppose I could just unplug the skimmer and run its airflow straight into the display

Is there anything I need to know about accurate dosing? I have quite a fair bit of volume, so I am certain that my water volume has decreased
Figuring out dose isn’t hard but go by actual water volume and not what tank manufacturers say. There can be a big difference at times.
I also will agree with Jay

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then,
I'll measure the actual tank and do it that way,
thanks
Have to sub rate thick ness off glass if you measure outside. Also subtract bottom thickness. And only measure to waterline. Rock, sand and everything else takes up water volume. It all displaces water and needs to be counted for. Don’t have to be exact but you need to be close.
What size tank?
Have a sump?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to sub rate thick ness off glass if you measure outside. Also subtract bottom thickness. And only measure to waterline. Rock, sand and everything else takes up water volume. It all displaces water and needs to be counted for. Don’t have to be exact but you need to be close.
What size tank?
Have a sump?
85 litres / 22.4 US gallons all in one, but there's a back chamber for filtration included in that

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85 litres / 22.4 US gallons all in one, but there's a back chamber for filtration included in that
If you measure just subtract all glass thickness or measure inside of glass. I would do same for all back chambers in the aio. How to guess the rock I’m not sure. Search might help as someone probably has asked how to subtract rock volume.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you measure just subtract all glass thickness or measure inside of glass. I would do same for all back chambers in the aio. How to guess the rock I’m not sure. Search might help as someone probably has asked how to subtract rock volume.
Alright, I'll certainly do that,
thanks for the info

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks

No - you either need to fill the tank with a metered flow, and then know the exact water volume, or estimate.

The standard process is to measure the inside width and length of the tank, the water level down to the sand and multiply those three numbers and divide by 231. Do the same if the tank has a sump and add that in. Then, if this is a bare QT, just use that number. If it is a typical reef with lots of rocks and coral, multiply that number by 0.85 (15% deduction) to give the net volume. If the tank has just a few rocks in it, multiply by a larger number.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you either need to fill the tank with a metered flow, and then know the exact water volume, or estimate.

The standard process is to measure the inside width and length of the tank, the water level down to the sand and multiply those three numbers and divide by 231. Do the same if the tank has a sump and add that in. Then, if this is a bare QT, just use that number. If it is a typical reef with lots of rocks and coral, multiply that number by 0.85 (15% deduction) to give the net volume. If the tank has just a few rocks in it, multiply by a larger number.
Thanks for that. Just 1 thing, when you say down to sand, is that bottom of the sand or the surface?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back