OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro arrived today, I am going to begin dosing but I have 1 thing I'm thinking about before I do it
I added some new SPS the other day that were shipped so that stressed them out, and they're showing signs of stress as their colour is slightly bleached, would I risk doing further damage to them with prazi in a time when their health isn't at their best?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro arrived today, I am going to begin dosing but I have 1 thing I'm thinking about before I do it
I added some new SPS the other day that were shipped so that stressed them out, and they're showing signs of stress as their colour is slightly bleached, would I risk doing further damage to them with prazi in a time when their health isn't at their best?

Yes - the risk is going to be greater with already stressed corals. My fear is - you'll dose the tank with prazi, the corals will die, and you'll blame the prazi, but the corals might have died even without the prazi. You'll have to just make a risk assessment here.....

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the risk is going to be greater with already stressed corals. My fear is - you'll dose the tank with prazi, the corals will die, and you'll blame the prazi, but the corals might have died even without the prazi. You'll have to just make a risk assessment here.....
Yeah very true

In all honesty, it only seems like that 1 of the 4 new corals I got are slightly bleached, the other 3 seem alright, I think it's just the transport that hit it hard as it arrived like that. They are on the less sensitive side of sps since they are montiporas and birdsnest and not something like acros

I am going to dose the first round of prazi tomorrow, I measured the tank and converted it to litres and it shows that the volume (not including rock) is around 72litres, so I assume I should reduce that by 15percent as an estimate of rock displacement, which will bring it down to around 61 litres. So that'll be 4.1ml of Prazi per dose

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the first round of prazi

The measuring syringe I used went a bit sticky and caused some of the prazi to come out fast causing some to splash over and out of the tank when it went in, meaning I lost some but don't exactly know how much. I got most of the dose in the tank, but is there quite a small range to dose in, or can it be slightly under the amount and still be effective? I'd say at least 90% of the 4.1ml went in

Next time I'll mix the prazi in a pot of tank water and do it, I thought it would be just a water and prazi solution but was a lot stickier and more like a gel

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the first round of prazi

The measuring syringe I used went a bit sticky and caused some of the prazi to come out fast causing some to splash over and out of the tank when it went in, meaning I lost some but don't exactly know how much. I got most of the dose in the tank, but is there quite a small range to dose in, or can it be slightly under the amount and still be effective? I'd say at least 90% of the 4.1ml went in

Next time I'll mix the prazi in a pot of tank water and do it, I thought it would be just a water and prazi solution but was a lot stickier and more like a gel

That's how public aquariums usually dose it - mixing it a bucket and then adding that to a tank.

If you delivered 90% of the dose, I'd say you are fine.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how public aquariums usually dose it - mixing it a bucket and then adding that to a tank.

If you delivered 90% of the dose, I'd say you are fine.
Ok that's good to hear

Should flukes symptoms like yawning and flashing begin to stop within a few days, since I saw something saying prazi will be used in a tank within 72 hours, or after the second dose?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's good to hear

Should flukes symptoms like yawning and flashing begin to stop within a few days, since I saw something saying prazi will be used in a tank within 72 hours, or after the second dose?

You won't see improvement the first day, but by the second day, things should get better. However, with flukes, you need a second, or sometimes a third dose (spaced at around 8 days) to actually cure the fish. If you don't see a marked improvement 48 hours after the first dose, I would suspect something else is going on, not flukes.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't see improvement the first day, but by the second day, things should get better. However, with flukes, you need a second, or sometimes a third dose (spaced at around 8 days) to actually cure the fish. If you don't see a marked improvement 48 hours after the first dose, I would suspect something else is going on, not flukes.
Alright then

So as for the second dose, should I do it in 7 days as per the instructions or is 8 better? I assume that the 2nd is to kill fluke eggs, I might be wrong though

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then

So as for the second dose, should I do it in 7 days as per the instructions or is 8 better? I assume that the 2nd is to kill fluke eggs, I might be wrong though

7 or 8 days is fine. I usually say 8 days or even 9, but it is all a guess, based on when the eggs of any new flukes might hatch. The general thought is go with the shorter time frame if the water is warm, go longer if the water is cool (like below 79 F.)

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 or 8 days is fine. I usually say 8 days or even 9, but it is all a guess, based on when the eggs of any new flukes might hatch. The general thought is go with the shorter time frame if the water is warm, go longer if the water is cool (like below 79 F.)
Should I be able to still do tank maibenance like changing filtee floss and sand stirring?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tailspot blenny still seems to be flashing, and clowns still yawning, I assume that the 2nd dose should fix this, I'm just wondering if this is normal

Tough to say - can you post a video? If not, then give it 48 hours after the second treatment and reassess.....

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say - can you post a video? If not, then give it 48 hours after the second treatment and reassess.....
I'll try and catch it on video, it just seems to flash against the rock, and all of my fish seem to yawn every now and then

My first thought is that it is symptoms from the newly hatched flukes which the second dose will take out before they lay eggs, providing that everything is going smoothly

I have heard about "prazi resistant flukes" if this is the case, would I not be able to use any other treatment in a reef tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and catch it on video, it just seems to flash against the rock, and all of my fish seem to yawn every now and then

My first thought is that it is symptoms from the newly hatched flukes which the second dose will take out before they lay eggs, providing that everything is going smoothly

I have heard about "prazi resistant flukes" if this is the case, would I not be able to use any other treatment in a reef tank?
It’s a bit complicated. The flukes are not prazi resistant - what happens is that with repeated doses, a bacteria grows that eats prazi. Eventually, it eats the prazi before it has a chance to work. You won’t see this with just two doses - it takes 5 or more over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back