Marine Bettas, reef safe or not?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
574
Reaction score
531
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish in my reef tank is my Marine betta named Stellaluna. A lot of people have mixed feelings about these fish, they are absolutely gorgeous to look at and seemed to swim almost effortlessly and glide throughout a tank. But they are technically in the grouper family so they will predate on things like small fish or shrimp which gives them the category of reef safe but with caution. I think as long as they are in a tank that doesn't have items small enough to fit in their mouth then they are totally reef safe as I have never had an issue with one messing with corals or fish or invertebrates that are too big to eat. They can be somewhat shy especially when first introduced to a tank, but once they put on a bit of size and get used to the feeding schedule I find they can be just as outgoing as any other fish. Attached are some pictures of mine, if you have one in your personal tank please share your experience with them.



AR (16).png

AR (26).png
 
I had one in my old tank 15 years ago. Gorgeous fish and while not exactly outgoing, it did make the occasional pass across the tank. And always came out for food. Never touched the few softies I had. Can't say if it ate any crustaceans, but didn't touch shrimp.
 
Last edited:
Mines reef safe but very elusive. Wish he was more visible. Also given his size and what I see him eat, I’m surprised he’s still alive. He must be eating other things in the tank like worms and such.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new